Technics SL-D3 Tonearm Wand Screws

snap, crackle and pop
totemo
Afghanistan

Technics SL-D3 Tonearm Wand Screws

Post by totemo » 20 Nov 2019 20:48

Hey All,

I recently purchased a Technics SL-D3 and upon further inspection noticed that the tonearm wand was able to spin due to a loose attachment at the puck where the wand connects to the tonearm gimbal. It appears that the tonearm wand is set via two small set crews. I was able to tighten one, which has prevented the tone arm from spinning -- but the other screw was missing. Does anyone know where I can find the second replacement screw? Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Technics SL-D3 Tonearm Wand Screws

Post by lenjack » 20 Nov 2019 21:03

Try kabusa.com or organdonorparts.com, or ebay. Warning :!: Adjusting these screws to get them just right is, I'm told, extremely tricky.

totemo
Afghanistan

Post by totemo » 20 Nov 2019 21:07

lenjack wrote:
20 Nov 2019 21:03
Try kabusa.com or organdonorparts.com, or ebay. Warning :!: Adjusting these screws to get them just right is, I'm told, extremely tricky.
Thanks for the recommendation. To your point, just tightening the one screw took me 20 minutes of effort -- it was not fun.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Nov 2019 22:16

If I recall correctly, Technics makes a screwdriver, with a specially designed tip, just for adjusting these weird screws. When I worked in a HiFi store in the late 70s, and inquired about this, they simply just sent me one...no questions asked, even though I didn't know how to use it, and never did. To this day, I don't know what happened to it.

totemo
Afghanistan

Post by totemo » 20 Nov 2019 22:50

lenjack wrote:
20 Nov 2019 22:16
If I recall correctly, Technics makes a screwdriver, with a specially designed tip, just for adjusting these weird screws. When I worked in a HiFi store in the late 70s, and inquired about this, they simply just sent me one...no questions asked, even though I didn't know how to use it, and never did. To this day, I don't know what happened to it.
That's too funny. I guess it was easier to send the tool than to offer an explanation.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Nov 2019 23:03

We sold a lot of Technics, mostly inexpensive belt drives, and a few direct drives, as well as a few BICs, if I recall. I sold one SP-10 mark 2 to someone who knew nothing about it, except he just wanted the best that we carried at the time. :) 8) :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: =D> #-o

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Nov 2019 23:27

Proprietary connectors and fittings requiring in-house tools are normally a message to encourage adherence to factory specs, and trained, authorized factory technicians. At the time, when new, owner alterations generally would void your warranty. Protecting the buyer from himself really, but now, years after said warranty does not apply, the specialty tools are a godsend. :wink:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Nov 2019 23:32

lenjack wrote:
20 Nov 2019 23:03
We sold a lot of Technics, mostly inexpensive belt drives, and a few direct drives, as well as a few BICs, if I recall. I sold one SP-10 mark 2 to someone who knew nothing about it, except he just wanted the best that we carried at the time. :) 8) :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: =D> #-o
He didn't know a turntable from an end table. #-o [-o<

chgc

Post by chgc » 21 Nov 2019 02:58

Do those screws by any chance have an Allen/hex head? If so, it might be possible to make the correct tool by cutting off a portion of a regular allen key so it fits in the available space.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Nov 2019 13:54

It's so long ago, that I can't remember. Take a close up look. I would think it's possible, but not very doable. I think you would make a bad situation worse.

chgc

Post by chgc » 21 Nov 2019 15:36

That's a good point, lenjack. If the original poster has managed to tighten the one screw enough to hold the tube in place, perhaps there's no need for the second screw. And it seems to me that those screws are probably so inaccessible for cosmetic reasons.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Nov 2019 16:05

No, I believe for the arm to work right, with the proper lack of friction, and maintain proper balance, both screws must be meticulously adjusted to factory standards. I was told the factory used specialized measuring instruments to achieve this standard. This could not be done with only the special screwdriver, although it might get you in the ballpark.

totemo
Afghanistan

Post by totemo » 21 Nov 2019 18:09

chgc wrote:
21 Nov 2019 15:36
That's a good point, lenjack. If the original poster has managed to tighten the one screw enough to hold the tube in place, perhaps there's no need for the second screw. And it seems to me that those screws are probably so inaccessible for cosmetic reasons.
As another poster mentioned, they are in fact hexscrews. I managed to use a precision hex hey to tighten the one remaining screw -- and that has held the tone arm in place. It does seem to be the case that they hid the screws on the underside for cosmetic reasons as it makes them extremely hard to tighten.

To provide a little more detail, there are divots on the tonearm wand that the hex screws nest into when fully tightened. My hypothesis is that those divots make it possible to ensure that the tonearm is not twisted at an angle when fully tightened.

totemo
Afghanistan

Post by totemo » 21 Nov 2019 18:12

lenjack wrote:
21 Nov 2019 16:05
No, I believe for the arm to work right, with the proper lack of friction, and maintain proper balance, both screws must be meticulously adjusted to factory standards. I was told the factory used specialized measuring instruments to achieve this standard. This could not be done with only the special screwdriver, although it might get you in the ballpark.
I've been able to balance the tonearm with no issues and it does seem to track well with only one screw, but a part of me is concerned that only one tiny little hex is holding the tonearm in place.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Nov 2019 20:29

It may work well, but with only one screw in place, it's probably not at it's optimum. I just took a close up look at my D3. It looks like each screw is an inner/outer one. I assume one sets the adjustment, and the other, locks it in place.