Left channel is louder than the right. Really need help.

snap, crackle and pop
ayudame
Mexico

Left channel is louder than the right. Really need help.

Post by ayudame » 18 Nov 2019 23:09

So while playing a record I noticed that it sounded weird. I muted one of the speakers using the balance adjuster from my receiver, and then the other one, and sure enough one was louder than the other. Like, a BIG difference in sound.

So first, I tried messing around with the anti-skate, and it didn't make a difference. I even tried setting the anti-skate to both 0 and 3, but the left channel was still noticeably weaker. The speakers are balanced when I play sound through them with the AM and FM radio from my receiver, so the speakers are not the issue.

I then swapped the RCA cables, but it was still the same. If it was a matter of just loudness, I would just use the slider from the receiver, but the left channel sometimes cuts off entirely. It's very, very annoying.

I've read a couple of threads about this, but I don't really want to open the turntable unless I really need to. What do you guys think? Right now, I'm thinking it's either a problem with the internal wiring of the turntable, a problem with the phono input, or the RCA outputs themselves. I'm getting desperate send help. Sorry for bad english.

The receiver is a Marantz 2220B, and the turntable a Sansui FR-4060

kalaur

Re: Left channel is louder than the right. Really need help.

Post by kalaur » 19 Nov 2019 04:24

You mentioned you 'swapped' rca cables, but this can mean several things. If you actually tried a different pair of RCA cables, then you've ruled that out.

Next step, reverse the left/right rca cables from the turntable to the marantz:
Left from turntable into right on the marantz
Right from turntable into left on marantz.
If the loud channel is still on the right, your marantz is the issue. You can try an external phono stage into an aux input.
If the loud channel moves to the left, your issue is upstream. Move rca cables back to left > left, and right > right and proceed below

Next reverse the connections on the phono cartridge itself:
Red wire on white pin:
Green wire on blue pin
White wire on red pin
Blue wire on green pin
If the loud channel is still on the right, issue is somewhere in the wiring from the tonearm to the rca jacks.
If the loud channel is now on the left, issue is your cartridge itself. You didn't mention which cartridge you're using, but ensure the stylus is FULLY seated into the cartridge if its a MM type.

ayudame
Mexico

Post by ayudame » 19 Nov 2019 22:13

Thanks. I swapped the left output to the right input and the right output to the left input and the low channel did not switch sides. Indeed it must be the amplifier that is the issue. I hope it's nothing too bad.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 21 Nov 2019 07:14

Progress! You said the channels are balanced when playing the radio, so it shouldn't be the amplifier itself. But you have narrowed it down to something with the phono input. If you don't want to replace or repair the marantz, you could try purchasing a separate phono premp, and run it into some other input (NOT the phono input).

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 23 Nov 2019 20:11

It has to be in the phono preamp section of the Marantz.

Doug