long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Thorens 125 ii or 320?

Post by tlscapital » 23 Nov 2019 22:49

wgmontgomery wrote:
22 Nov 2019 20:49
Thanks!!

One thing that I have noticed during my research of Thorens (& please don't take this as a complaint because it isn't; it's just an observation...& I greatly appreciate EVERYONE who has taken the time to add their opinion) turntables is that there is *ZERO consensus on which models are good, better or best.
Absolutely true. And a turntable alone can't do much anyway. Tonearm, cartridge and preamp, amp and speaker will help to reveal 'IT' in a good combination, not so much or not at all. Then there's one's preferences, needs and beliefs. Every turntable who has it's supporters must have something going for them that will not necessary be to anybody's requirements though. Only experiment in good conditions will allow one to find out for him/herself.
wgmontgomery wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 125 is in a nice plinth...I don't know how much difference that'll make with regard to SQ. It does stand to reason that it might help reduce resonance, but I don't know for sure.
A turntable "Sound Quality" is kinda vague to describe what in sound the turntable's design and build brings/participats in into the cartridge transmitted signal. Since we know that a turntable doesn't produce sound, like the cartridge is, what aside it's speed specs and functions offers, the turntable has what some rather refer to as a 'sonic signature'. This is where the ear preference and the phono gear chain combination 'happens' or not.
wgmontgomery wrote:
I really wish that I could demo both of them (with the same cartridge) in my system, but one thing that I conclude from the responses & my research is that it's doubtful that I'll will be disappointed with either one.

Maybe I can buy a 125 AND 320 and take my time deciding? If I can sell my MMF5.1SE I may have the $$ to TRY both. IF I'm able to (TEMPORARILY) get a 125 & a 320 I'll report my impressions.

I greatly appreciate EVERYONE'S input and hope that the replies keep coming. Every opinion/bit of information helps a great deal and adds to my knowledge! Thank you!!
Such direct demo is indeed a very good way to ear them appart, learn where does those difference happens and decide which 'sonic signature' has your preference. Accordingly this demo should be done with the same tonearm as well if you're counting of comparing the turntables only. If not be certain of the tonearms respective effective mass to suit the cartridge's compliance. So if you can afford them both just do it and let us know how it turned out.
wgmontgomery wrote:
*This is a bit of hyperbole...there ARE certain models (TD-125, TD-124 etc.) that (almost) everyone rates highly.
My understanding comes from their initial higher-end build standards (speed specs) and more bourgeois design. That due to their more "complex" inner systems and "luxurious" looks. Today their prices once revised still tell the same story. It became a second time around the grown up hipster adult pride toy. Not dismissing their performance one bit nor their seductive sonic signatures and glam looks, only I still prefer my humble DIY'ed tweaked TD160.

Those more common lower middle class budget TD150, 16x & 14x turntables had simplified design (cost production optimized) for a yet good enough performance. Making them nothing to brag about by today's Hi-Fi-ers evidently. Yet I love their minimalistic and humble design that has so much 'evolutive' potential. More so after having extensively DIY'ed tweaked mine to perform as it does today. Since I do not envy to swap it for anything else really.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 24 Nov 2019 16:44

Sorry that it took me so long to respond. I help care for my MIL, and she has dementia...it sometimes demands my attention.

No, I don't have experience with woodworking. I find it fascinating though, and it's something that I would certainly like to learn. I doubt that I ever will...I have neither the space nor $$ for all of the equipment. I also have degenerative disc disease which doesn't allow me to stand for any real length of time.

I know about Dave & VN; his work and players are incredible. I learned a lot off of his YouTube posts, and he has shared some info via email too.

Those tables are, in a word, beautiful! Impressive work!

Thanks!!

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 24 Nov 2019 17:03

I appreciate the compliments while accepting that there are far more beautiful tables out there. I've never had the time nor the inclination to take my projects to a level that I would consider art. Perhaps I'll take something over the top if I ever retire. For now I think they look nice enough and play well, which is what really matters.

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with either table.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 03 Dec 2019 10:51

The 125 that I was looking at is gone, but the 320 is still available...& for $50 less than the 125. There's always the 'Bay, but people often want a fortune for things there...

Thanks