unfixable static pop

snap, crackle and pop
Madmaths
Canada

unfixable static pop

Post by Madmaths » 17 Nov 2019 21:08

Hi! I will try to make my story short,
Last year a start vinyl, I had a toshiba sr-250 I restor this turn table but I always have this static pop randomly. my turn table I plug on a vintage hitachi HA-610 so I plug it on my denon suround ( it have a phono input ) still the same. I decide to buy a new turn table Project debut carbon with a ortho red, same story same static!! I bought a humidifier keep the room at 60% same static!! I bought a zerostat gun and a spin clean SAME!!. I also made a test I put all my electrical panel breaker to off exept the turn table plug same!! I dont know If I miss some thing to chek? all my record are new and washed befor alot of them are 180g or 240g any tips!?? thanks!

paddypaws
England

Re: unfixable static pop

Post by paddypaws » 17 Nov 2019 22:09

Maybe you have a mains breaker feeding the amp that is arcing occasionally.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 19 Nov 2019 04:27

Did you run a ground wire between your turntable and your hitachi?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Nov 2019 06:39

Assuming your records are as clean as you indicate, the pop occurring with only the TT plugged in to power would suggest the possibility that something on that feeder line to your panel and TT may be cycling on and off randomly, causing a momentary closing of the circuit, then powering on again. Of course, if the TT is still plugged into the amp, a whole series of possibilities related to momentary shorting in the system becomes likely. I would suspect something wrong in the TT itself otherwise. Have you tried the system with another TT plugged in? You've checked most of the things that one would initially suspect already, so pretty baffling. Can you post a sound bite of the pop being produced perhaps. A literal shot in the dark....play the TT in the dark....perhaps a spark of some form will make itself evident, pin pointing the culprit. Anything is possible at this point..... [-o< :?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Nov 2019 06:48

Sorry....re-read your initial post and mention of swapping out the TTs.....a dead end call there. Do you have the amp and TTs grounded properly (using a ground wire between the TT and amp) as suggested above? On rare occasion, a poorly grounded system can actually have a discharge between the platter/spindle and the cartridge/stylus, due to static build up during play. This would be less of a challenge than tracking electrical interference and shorting issues. Sometimes big problems have simple solutions.... :idea:

paddypaws
England

Post by paddypaws » 19 Nov 2019 08:39

Could also be something in the house with duty cycle on /off eg refrigerator, aircon, heating, these things often cause mains spikes seemingly randomly which can be heard on speakers. A plug in mains filter would sort it.

Madmaths
Canada

Post by Madmaths » 20 Nov 2019 00:32

kalaur wrote:
19 Nov 2019 04:27
Did you run a ground wire between your turntable and your hitachi?
yes ;)

Madmaths
Canada

Post by Madmaths » 20 Nov 2019 00:34

paddypaws wrote:
19 Nov 2019 08:39
Could also be something in the house with duty cycle on /off eg refrigerator, aircon, heating, these things often cause mains spikes seemingly randomly which can be heard on speakers. A plug in mains filter would sort it.
this make sense but i try with all the breaker at off just the one for my turntable! breaker and panel are about 4years old

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 20 Nov 2019 20:19

Dirt in grooves is most common reason for pop sound. Mechanical scrubbing remove particles from surface but will not remove pernicious particle embedded within groove. Normally these can only be eliminated by applying elevated vacuum generated by vacuum record cleaning machine, alternately ultrasonic cleaning. Either is an important accessory for maximum enjoyment of the medium.