Sony PS-X75 problems

snap, crackle and pop
Krakus2000
Canada

Sony PS-X75 problems

Post by Krakus2000 » 14 Nov 2019 01:15

I own Sony PS-X75 turntable connected to Kenwood amplifier. I didn’t use it for some time and couple of days ago I turned it on again and immediately noticed some strange static noise coming from the speakers. It sounded like repetitive popping and cracking noise. I did some tests trying to isolate the problem and the results are like below:

1. Noise is volume dependent and exists only in Phono input.
2. It doesn’t matter if the turntable is switched on or off.
3. If I disconnect the audio cables from the amplifier the noise go away.
4. The audio cable from the turntable is properly grounded at the amplifier.
5. I have disconnected the cartridge head from the tone arm, no change.
6. I disconnected the turntable audio cables from the amplifier and connected long spare audio cables instead, silence.

I am running out of ideas. It is my understanding that the turntable doesn’t have any active circuitry in audio channels. It could be an interference from something in my house, but....

Anybody had this kind of problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Athermos
India

Re: Sony PS-X75 problems

Post by Athermos » 15 Nov 2019 09:23

Sounds like an internal grounding problem. Is the grounding inside the TT alright ? Any detached wires inside ? If the head shell is removable, as you have mentioned, is it making the right contact with the rest of the tone arm on being plugged in ? Is something getting in the way ? Is the grounding connection from the cartridge to the head shell pins / contacts alright ? Please address these points.

Quick check: Does touching the tone arm make a difference in the static noise ? That would confirm the grounding issue.

Krakus2000
Canada

Re: Sony PS-X75 problems

Post by Krakus2000 » 15 Dec 2019 01:52

Just an update....

I have found in my possession another, newer, receiver (Sony) and another old turntable (Akai), connected together, powered on, and..... the same kind of noise appeared, though lower in volume this time.

So, what’s the conclusion?