snap, crackle and pop
Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 25 Nov 2019 16:58

apastuszak wrote:
25 Nov 2019 14:23

That's easier said than done a lot of time. Near me, people are demanding a big premium for vintage turntables, some more than double the original price when adjusted for inflation. I've seen Dual 1210s listed for $1000 on more than one occasion.
That is also true. Prices are going high for better models of vintage turntables in excellent condition. Because owners see that there is demand and they want to make money. But from time to time a man has a luck can find someone who just want to get rid of things and get some symbolic earning out of it.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 26 Nov 2019 02:30

A lot of these owners/finders are just cleaning out dad's closet, or some equivalent, and they have NO idea about the intricacies of shipping a turntable. I don't think they're being greedy - just going off recent market prices - but the TRUE shipping costs/requirements elude them, so we end up with disasters.

A resulting problem is that sellers/shippers sometimes think you are being too picky with shipping instructions, so they choose not to sell to you. This happened to me...and FYI: that turntable is still for sale :-k

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 26 Nov 2019 02:48

Seller sent me a message today that they packed it well and told me it cost $37.50 to ship. They asked if I could pitch in more money towards shipping. I wholeheartedly agreed. But I can't see her Paypal info to send her another $18.00. I asked her to invoice me. Hopefully she can see my contact info.

If she packaged it correctly, then I need to financially reward that. Just need to figure out how to do that. Paypal son't show me her Paypal account, just her eBay info.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 26 Nov 2019 02:56

jdjohn wrote:
26 Nov 2019 02:30
A lot of these owners/finders are just cleaning out dad's closet, or some equivalent, and they have NO idea about the intricacies of shipping a turntable. I don't think they're being greedy - just going off recent market prices - but the TRUE shipping costs/requirements elude them, so we end up with disasters.

A resulting problem is that sellers/shippers sometimes think you are being too picky with shipping instructions, so they choose not to sell to you. This happened to me...and FYI: that turntable is still for sale :-k
That's a good point. Seller #1, from the look of their eBay store, just resells stuff they find, maybe from estate sales or thrift stores. They just didn't know how to ship a turntable.

But I did specifically ASK HER to reach out to me before shipping and she chose not to.

At least seller #2 reached out to me.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 26 Nov 2019 02:57

No good deed goes unpunished. Perhaps if you can glean an email address from somewhere - PayPal or eBay - you can contact them off-line. Ask them to send an add'l invoice via PP, or send them extra funds on PP via 'Friends and Family', which avoids fees.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 26 Nov 2019 03:57

jdjohn wrote:
26 Nov 2019 02:57
No good deed goes unpunished. Perhaps if you can glean an email address from somewhere - PayPal or eBay - you can contact them off-line. Ask them to send an add'l invoice via PP, or send them extra funds on PP via 'Friends and Family', which avoids fees.
She sent me her Paypal email address in an eBay message. I sent her $20.00 and a thank you note.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 30 Nov 2019 02:22

And....

The turntable is here!!

https://i.imgur.com/U69mIrU.jpg

Looks pristine. Everything works. And the seller did an outstanding job packaging it.

They took the platter off, removed the counterweight and 45 RPM adapter. They locked the tone arm and fed all the cables on top of the plinth and then wrapped just the plinth, tone arm and cables in that special thick saran wrap. Then they wrapped the platter in the same saran wrap, placed it under the turntable and wrapped the whole thing in about 5 laters of the same saran wrap. They wrapped the counterweight and 45 RPM adapter with bubble wrap and threw it in a ziploc bag , put that on top of the turntable and put another 5 layers of saran wrap over the whole thing. Then it was placed in HP PC box with close to an inch of cardboard pieces jammed in on sides and taped shut with two different types of types. The entire outside of the box was covered in FRAGILE stickers. The thing felt SOLID when it arrived.

Getting the saran wrap off was a challenge, to say the least. The thing sounds great with the original cartridge and stylus on it. But I make it habit of puting a new stylus on any "new to me" turntable that I buy.

The only issue I have is that the tonearm's automatic mechanism doesn't move very smoothly and the queueing lever isn't very smooth. I have to assume that's just old lube that needs to cleaned out and reapplied. I'll need to learn how to do that. Not as many LAB440 videos around as there are Technics or Dual videos around. If anyone lives in the Philadelphia, PA area and wants to make a few bucks lubing a TT, PM me.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 30 Nov 2019 02:50

Excellent, that is the way it is supposed to be. What cartridge is on the new one?

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 30 Nov 2019 03:03

spensar wrote:
30 Nov 2019 02:50
Excellent, that is the way it is supposed to be. What cartridge is on the new one?
The new one has this:

https://i.imgur.com/AUVrMmP.jpg

The old one has this on it:

https://i.imgur.com/ixUC23I.jpg

Which one should I use?

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 30 Nov 2019 03:10

If I recall correctly, both are Shure M75 ED bodies, though I stand to be corrected by the pros here. Does the 5X stylus fit on the R1000? If it does, give a listen to see if one sounds better.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 30 Nov 2019 03:19

spensar wrote:
30 Nov 2019 03:10
If I recall correctly, both are Shure M75 ED bodies, though I stand to be corrected by the pros here. Does the 5X stylus fit on the R1000? If it does, give a listen to see if one sounds better.
It did fit, but I thought it did not sound as good as the stylus that the R1000 came with.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 30 Nov 2019 15:34

Mine came with the R1000EDT. I thought it sounded pretty bright and detailed for a Shure. That arm handles high compliance carts especially well.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 30 Nov 2019 16:00

jdjohn wrote:
30 Nov 2019 15:34
Mine came with the R1000EDT. I thought it sounded pretty bright and detailed for a Shure. That arm handles high compliance carts especially well.
I have a SuperOM cartridge and an OM10 stylus. I may put that on. I just HATE aligning cartridges. I didn't get the overhang gauge that came with the turntable. That would make life a lot easier.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 30 Nov 2019 19:20

Checked and I have an R1000EDT and it is fitted out with an M75 stylus so you have a lot of choices.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 01 Dec 2019 14:44

spensar wrote:
30 Nov 2019 19:20
Checked and I have an R1000EDT and it is fitted out with an M75 stylus so you have a lot of choices.
Thank you!