Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

snap, crackle and pop
Post Reply
Vinylfreak86
long player
long player
Posts: 1290
Joined: 07 Jan 2016 16:02

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 24 Nov 2019 10:57

A seller, who sent a DD turntable so packed, without removing a platter out of the turntable and also a counterweight from the tonearm is not a professional seller, he is only profiteer and a fraudster. You won`t get your money back and will stay with a turntable, which is not worth to repair. Not that it is not possible, but unlike you find someone who has a donnor deck and will do all job for a low price, because it is his hobby, costs will be too high.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 24 Nov 2019 16:06

I found 4 different YouTube videos and a thread on AudioKarma. I shall search here as well. Thanks for the advice.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 24 Nov 2019 21:50

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
24 Nov 2019 10:57
A seller, who sent a DD turntable so packed, without removing a platter out of the turntable and also a counterweight from the tonearm is not a professional seller, he is only profiteer and a fraudster. You won`t get your money back and will stay with a turntable, which is not worth to repair. Not that it is not possible, but unlike you find someone who has a donnor deck and will do all job for a low price, because it is his hobby, costs will be too high.
The seller did refund my money. They sent an apology message 5 minutes after I sent them photos. And I got a refund notice from eBay a half hour after that. So, no complaints there. Just sad that a perfectly good (and good looking!) turntable got destroyed for no good reason.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 24 Nov 2019 21:55

The second seller reached out to me and asked for shipping instructions!

I sent them a link to 4 different YouTube videos and a long thread about shipping turntables on Audiokarma. I told them to take their time, I'm in no rush to get the turntable. Pack it well, and ship cheapest possible method. Better to arrive intact and late than on time and in pieces.

Back to the first seller....

I reached out to her and told her that I am keeping the turntable and packing for her USPS insurance claim. She told me the USPS only needed photos. Having dealt with USPS insurance before, I know they need the item and the packaging. I explained this to her, and she said she's good with just the photos, and I can go ahead and throw it out.

That tells me this was a quick cash grab and she didn't bother to insure the package.

This is why I am always wary of "fast and free" shipping for delicate items.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2667
Joined: 20 Sep 2015 04:14
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by jdjohn » 24 Nov 2019 22:56

Sounds like you're on track now =D> Without prior experience shipping turntables, people simply don't know what they don't know. So...they learn the hard way.

And the really sad thing is: many fine vintage turntables get permanently damaged in the process.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 24 Nov 2019 23:40

I may offer to throw in another $10 in shipping, maybe $20. I'll see what they come back with.

spensar
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 784
Joined: 04 May 2014 02:40

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by spensar » 25 Nov 2019 02:24

USPS may have a laugh at a claim for that packing job. Nice to see packing comments in the feedback for the 2nd seller, and he has sold another turntable that got +ve feedback. Good luck with this one!

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 25 Nov 2019 02:51

spensar wrote:
25 Nov 2019 02:24
USPS may have a laugh at a claim for that packing job. Nice to see packing comments in the feedback for the 2nd seller, and he has sold another turntable that got +ve feedback. Good luck with this one!
Ok, have to ask, how you found out which turntable I bought? No creeped out, just curious what kind of eBay breadcrumbs I am leaving behind.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2667
Joined: 20 Sep 2015 04:14
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by jdjohn » 25 Nov 2019 04:14

Sold items Realistic Lab-440

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 25 Nov 2019 04:19

jdjohn wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:14
Sold items Realistic Lab-440
I need to learn how to look up sold items.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2667
Joined: 20 Sep 2015 04:14
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by jdjohn » 25 Nov 2019 04:21

apastuszak wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:19
jdjohn wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:14
Sold items Realistic Lab-440
I need to learn how to look up sold items.
Check out the filters.

spensar
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 784
Joined: 04 May 2014 02:40

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by spensar » 25 Nov 2019 04:25

apastuszak wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:19
jdjohn wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:14
Sold items Realistic Lab-440
I need to learn how to look up sold items.
And the price was posted here so it is easy to pick out :mrgreen:

After you do a search, look down the left side and there are options for completed and sold. If you select sold the search brings up all the sold items for that search from the last couple of weeks. If you pick "completed" you get all listings that have ended, so both sold and unsold show up. It is a good reality check for asking prices, as some of the stuff for sale is way out of whack compared to the going price.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 25 Nov 2019 04:28

spensar wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:25
apastuszak wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:19
jdjohn wrote:
25 Nov 2019 04:14
Sold items Realistic Lab-440
I need to learn how to look up sold items.
And the price was posted here so it is easy to pick out :mrgreen:

After you do a search, look down the left side and there are options for completed and sold. If you select sold the search brings up all the sold items for that search from the last couple of weeks. If you pick "completed" you get all listings that have ended, so both sold and unsold show up. It is a good reality check for asking prices, as some of the stuff for sale is way out of whack compared to the going price.
Thanks for the tip!

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player
Posts: 1290
Joined: 07 Jan 2016 16:02

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 25 Nov 2019 12:19

The best way of buying a vintage TT is to go to a seller and just pick it up by yourself. Even better is if you are buying from the first owner, turntables which had many owners are the same like cars, more abused and one of the owners maybe even made some own technical repair, which was not at a professional level. At the end you have a unit with a lot of problems.

apastuszak
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 123
Joined: 31 Jul 2019 21:46

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 25 Nov 2019 14:23

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
25 Nov 2019 12:19
The best way of buying a vintage TT is to go to a seller and just pick it up by yourself. Even better is if you are buying from the first owner, turntables which had many owners are the same like cars, more abused and one of the owners maybe even made some own technical repair, which was not at a professional level. At the end you have a unit with a lot of problems.
That's easier said than done a lot of time. Near me, people are demanding a big premium for vintage turntables, some more than double the original price when adjusted for inflation. I've seen Dual 1210s listed for $1000 on more than one occasion.

Post Reply