Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

snap, crackle and pop
apastuszak
United States of America

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 16 Nov 2019 03:43

spensar wrote:
16 Nov 2019 03:38
Pretty new seller from what I saw. Better that if he/she needs the weekend to pack it properly it's better to get it a day or two later. I think some sellers are not that aware of the delivery commitments they have made.
I'm not worried about it getting here on Tuesday. I have a Technics SL-D2 and a Dual 1257, so I can still play my vinyl. TBH, I'm more concerned that they don't feel compelled to ship it overnight using some insanely expensive shipping method.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 16 Nov 2019 04:03

spensar wrote:
16 Nov 2019 03:38
Pretty new seller from what I saw. Better that if he/she needs the weekend to pack it properly it's better to get it a day or two later. I think some sellers are not that aware of the delivery commitments they have made.
I shot the seller an email and asked them if they had ever shipped a turntable before. If they hadn't I asked them to please reach out to me, so I could tell them how to ship it properly to avoid damage to the unit and avoid a costly return. I told them, I'd rather wait longer to have it done right.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 16 Nov 2019 06:05

apastuszak wrote:
16 Nov 2019 04:03

I shot the seller an email and asked them if they had ever shipped a turntable before. If they hadn't I asked them to please reach out to me, so I could tell them how to ship it properly to avoid damage to the unit and avoid a costly return. I told them, I'd rather wait longer to have it done right.
Great idea, and so true about the return.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 16 Nov 2019 13:42

I would even offer to pay a little extra to ensure it's done correctly. It will require extra packing materials.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 16 Nov 2019 16:52

jdjohn wrote:
16 Nov 2019 13:42
I would even offer to pay a little extra to ensure it's done correctly. It will require extra packing materials.
They're close enough to me that they could use UPS Ground and get it here overnight for far less money.

I bought an amplifier off a gentleman at the other end of PA (where I live). He shipped it to me USPS Parcel. Took almost a week to get here and he paid $25.00 for the shipping. I reused the packing material and shipped a MUCH HEAVIER receiver back to him for repair and used UPS Ground. They only charged me $14.00 and he got it overnight.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 17 Nov 2019 13:01

I actually didn't mean pay extra for faster shipping, but pay extra for additional packing/boxing/wrapping materials. The platter, especially, needs to be pulled off, wrapped-up, and packed underneath everything else. A layer of cardboard between it and the chassis would be preferable as well.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 17 Nov 2019 14:56

jdjohn wrote:
17 Nov 2019 13:01
I actually didn't mean pay extra for faster shipping, but pay extra for additional packing/boxing/wrapping materials. The platter, especially, needs to be pulled off, wrapped-up, and packed underneath everything else. A layer of cardboard between it and the chassis would be preferable as well.
I understood your comment to mean paying extra for better packaging.

The seller reached back to be in Saturday and told me they shipped it and "packaged it very well." I wished they'd ping me before they shipped it.

Tracking says it arrives on Thursday. If they left the platter and the counterweight on, what issues should I be looking for?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 17 Nov 2019 16:47

Again, it's mainly the platter to worry about. If it comes loose (off the spindle), it becomes a wrecking ball under the dustcover. The dustcover can break/crack, tonearm can get bent. Hoping for the best though!

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 17 Nov 2019 17:28

jdjohn wrote:
17 Nov 2019 16:47
Again, it's mainly the platter to worry about. If it comes loose (off the spindle), it becomes a wrecking ball under the dustcover. The dustcover can break/crack, tonearm can get bent. Hoping for the best though!
That does not sound good. Hopefully all goes well. If they didn't take it off, I hope they at least taped it down.

bikelectro

Post by bikelectro » 18 Nov 2019 11:52

Strathearn SMA2 and the much better SM 2000 if you can find a good one.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 18 Nov 2019 19:46

apastuszak wrote:
16 Nov 2019 16:52
jdjohn wrote:
They're close enough to me that they could use UPS Ground and get it here overnight for far less money.

I bought an amplifier off a gentleman at the other end of PA (where I live). He shipped it to me USPS Parcel. Took almost a week to get here and he paid $25.00 for the shipping. I reused the packing material and shipped a MUCH HEAVIER receiver back to him for repair and used UPS Ground. They only charged me $14.00 and he got it overnight.
A word to the wise. There is a very large difference between a UPS Store and a UPS Customer Service Center. UPS Stores are independently owned and charge three to five times what a Customer Service center (owned by UPS) charges.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 18 Nov 2019 20:17

JoeE SP9 wrote:
18 Nov 2019 19:46
apastuszak wrote:
16 Nov 2019 16:52
jdjohn wrote:

A word to the wise. There is a very large difference between a UPS Store and a UPS Customer Service Center. UPS Stores are independently owned and charge three to five times what a Customer Service center (owned by UPS) charges.
I usually take it to a Staples. They seem to have the same prices as UPS itself, and I can usually find a staples coupon to give me a few dollars off. If you know the exact dimensions and weight of your package, you can probably buy a shipping label off their website and drop it off at a UPS store.

Rog Beltmann
United States of America

Post by Rog Beltmann » 20 Nov 2019 13:26

I have an old Sansui FR-D25. All controls are external. It's a belt drive but has servo, strobe and pitch control. Manual start but auto return. It also has the best anti skate mechanism I've ever seen on any turntable. It auto adjusts a/s so there is more at the beginning of the record and gradually backs off as the stylus approaches the runout grooves. It is spot on any place on the playing surface. I traded a repair for it (about $50).

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 22 Nov 2019 01:51

Rog Beltmann wrote:
20 Nov 2019 13:26
I have an old Sansui FR-D25. All controls are external. It's a belt drive but has servo, strobe and pitch control. Manual start but auto return. It also has the best anti skate mechanism I've ever seen on any turntable. It auto adjusts a/s so there is more at the beginning of the record and gradually backs off as the stylus approaches the runout grooves. It is spot on any place on the playing surface. I traded a repair for it (about $50).
Thanks. I'll need to check that model out.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 22 Nov 2019 02:00

The Realistic LAB440 saga continues. The guy who shipped it is in a town 2 hours from my house. They are in Maryland and I am in the Philadelphia suburbs. The listing said there was a guaranteed delivery day of last Tuesday, which wasn't going to happen, since the tracking number just went live on Monday.

It was SUPPOSED TO arrive today, but it got delayed, because it went from a town 2 hours from my house down to Greenboro, NC. The shipping was supposed to be USPS First Class Mail, according to the listing. USPS tracking says it was shipped using Parcel Select, which is NOT first class mail. It is the cheapest method of USPS shipping (other than media mail, which this is not eligible for).

Now I got an answer about what happens if the platter is not removed from the turntable: it becomes a battering ram inside the box and can slam into and destroy all sorts of things..

What if the counterweight is still on the tone arm, or the tone arm is not locked down? What should I look for in terms of potential damage in those circumstances?

And if it's packaged improperly, but somehow arrives intact, am I in for some ticking time bombs down the road that I need to watch out for? Should demand a refund rather than risk it?