Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

snap, crackle and pop
chgc

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by chgc » 24 Dec 2019 03:31

apastuszak wrote:
24 Dec 2019 02:59
I think linear tracking and p-mount cartrdiges finally gave the average man the ability to get decent sound out of their records.
Are you serious?

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 24 Dec 2019 15:24

apastuszak wrote:
I don't know why every audiophile feels the need to exert tons of effort into making something sound perfect. There's a strong belief that if great sound is achieved too easily, something is wrong.
It's varying in degrees to varying people. Some are consumed with the never ending search of equipment and tweaking. There are the diy type, whom enjoy hands on accomplishment of their efforts. And the plug and play folk, that are indifferent to the way or the how it all comes together. Digital and streaming digital is just fine. But I like how good this old medium can sound with some pleasurable effort to achieve it. The p-mount system was just part of the latter end of the industries effort to apply ease of use to the overall scheme of things at the time. It didn't represent the state of the art, just the maturity of the industry before it waned. But I think it's great for beginning enthusiasts or non technical minded people that may be overwhelmed with the detail involved getting setup correct for decent sound. Don't discount those p-mount systems with traditional pivot arms, like the Technics Q line of tables. They're a easy plug and play system too, and much less complicated mechanisms than the linear trackers.

chgc

Post by chgc » 24 Dec 2019 15:32

The reason I ask if you are serious, apastuszak, is that, for many years, I eyeballed cart alignment and thought the results were generally excellent. I do obsess about alignment now, but different templates, gauges and methods can lead to a range of different cart positions. I believe that it is possible to enjoy decent sound without going to the lengths to which I go these days, now that I approach turntables as a hobby as well as an appliance.

Furthermore, I suspect so-called “high tech” has led to a degradation of basic mechanical (as well as other) skills. I think “the average man” might have been handier back in the day.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 24 Dec 2019 17:16

chgc wrote:
24 Dec 2019 15:32
The reason I ask if you are serious, apastuszak, is that, for many years, I eyeballed cart alignment and thought the results were generally excellent. I do obsess about alignment now, but different templates, gauges and methods can lead to a range of different cart positions. I believe that it is possible to enjoy decent sound without going to the lengths to which I go these days, now that I approach turntables as a hobby as well as an appliance.

Furthermore, I suspect so-called “high tech” has led to a degradation of basic mechanical (as well as other) skills. I think “the average man” might have been handier back in the day.
I'm 51 and my dad is 92. His primary method of listening to music was through vinyl. He still has a bunch of 78s in his basement. I guarantee you that he has never aligned a head shell in his life. He bought a console stereo system with an integrated turntable and played his records on something that had no adjustments. Same goes for all my aunts, uncles and cousins. And most of my friend's parents when I was growing up. Heck my dad's old console is still in the basement of his current house, unplugged.

https://i.imgur.com/qUsGkIP.jpg

I'm sure there were tons of other people like that too. The linear tracking turntables with p-mount cartridges came along and probably offered an instant zero-effort upgrade to their sound. Heck, even p-mounts on a regular pivoting tone arm were probably a step up.

chgc

Post by chgc » 24 Dec 2019 22:26

I’m a fan of many of the moderately priced 80’s linear trackers. I think they sound fine, and the convenience they offer in setup and use can be appreciated by anyone, audiophile or otherwise. I don’t know about console players, but reasonable component systems have been around for a long time. Most of the ones’s I have heard over the years sounded pretty good to me.

I guess what I’m driving at is that I think we sometimes make too much of a fuss about alignment. I’m as guilty as the next guy, but I remember a time when I would align a cart according to what looked and sounded about right. That worked for me for many years.

Today, I have a new found respect for the devices I once took for granted. I don a head mounted magnifier and print out a template to align a cart. I use a stylus force gauge and spirit level to set up a turntable. I clean thrift store records with an ultrasonic cleaner. I even went so far as to recap an old Technics direct drive turntable. But I don’t enjoy the music any more than I used to. I just enjoy and appreciate the equipment more.

cakenut33

Post by cakenut33 » 25 Dec 2019 14:14

apastuszak wrote:
cakenut33 wrote:
22 Dec 2019 22:58
jdjohn wrote:
05 Dec 2019 15:20
It's amazing how much of a difference small tweaks can make. Setting up tt's is an OCD person's dream! But this is also why so many people "getting back into vinyl" are disappointed...they expect it to be 'plug-and-play', and sound great with little-to-no effort.
And this is why I love vinyl - the fact that you have to exert some effort to produce decent sound. If I just want to listen to music I'll fire up Spotify or turn the radio on. But the tactile nature of vinyl and the skill and care involved makes it a worthwhile pursuit in itself.
And this is why CD beat vinyl. Great sound with no effort. Towards the end of the turntable's life, I think linear tracking and p-mount cartrdiges finally gave the average man the ability to get decent sound out of their records.

I don't know why every audiophile feels the need to exert tons of effort into making something sound perfect. There's a strong belief that if great sound is achieved too easily, something is wrong.
I see wht you're saying and you're right, but perfect sound isn't my aim; if it were just about getting the best sound quality with minimal effort I'd only own CDs. It's just that I like to have something I can tinker with - to me that's a form of entertainment in itself.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 04 Jan 2020 15:34

Picked up the Technics SL-QL1 this morning. Very nice linear tracker. Looks gorgeous and has a few upgrades. Came with an Audio Technica AT450 cartridge. Has some kind of aftermarket noise isolating feet also.

So far I'm impressed with it. It's much heavier than I thought it woudl be.

https://i.imgur.com/Q9ZR9GZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eNlqiYI.jpg