Akai Ap-m512 running slow

snap, crackle and pop
Onetimeuser
Great Britain

Akai Ap-m512 running slow

Post by Onetimeuser » 09 Nov 2019 07:45

Good morning. I've bought the above turntable on a car boot whim as I have a billion* records from back in the day that I haven't played for years
(*couple of hundred)
Anyhoo its reeeaalllly slow...something is clearly wrong and the last record player I had was about 20 years ago so am not up on the technology. Is this a simple fix or should I throw it & buy new?
Thanks in advance šŸ˜Š

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Akai Ap-m512 running slow

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Nov 2019 17:19

There is a service manual in the VE library: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/akai.shtml
This is an older belt drive turntable. Your first steps should be to freshen the lubrication of the platter spindle and the motor bearings. Lift off the platter, and use a small screwdriver to carry a drop or two of sewing machine oil to the motor shaft, under the pulley. If you remove the bottom of the turntable, you should be able to get a drop to the bottom bearing, too.
Ideally, you should remove the platter spindle, and clean out the bearing. However, getting some oil into it should help, too.
If the semi-automatic mechanism is hanging up, you will have to clean out the old grease.
It is also possible that the old belt is slipping. Oiling the bearings (not the belt) will reduce this, but a new belt might be a good idea. (Sometimes old belts rot, and you have to clean out the gooey mess.)
Good luck. Come back and tell us if this helped.

Cheers,
Alec