bsr branded Sony odd issue

snap, crackle and pop
alfonsol

bsr branded Sony odd issue

Post by alfonsol » 09 Nov 2019 03:26

Hi,

a friend asked me to fix his old turntable.

this turntable was on storage for several years. it is a Sony branded bsr (i think is a bsr c141)

the platter was completely stuck. after some heat i was able to remove the platter, and clean and regrease and relube everything. also it cleaned up very nice and it looks like new.
Now everything works as it should, but i have a very odd issue.

If you look at the front of the tonearm it is not parallel to the disc. If i loosen a little the nut at the back of the tonearm that secures it to the base, the position self corrects, because of the tension of the spring. i don't know if it is normal or not. i don't see anything bent on the tonearm, in fact it looks really well cared.

madhatton
United States of America

Re: bsr branded Sony odd issue

Post by madhatton » 09 Nov 2019 05:31

I'm just spit-balling here, but in my so far limited experience, I have noticed that some turntables are spring-loaded for vibration dampening, and they come from the factory completely screwed down. Have you read the owner's manual? It may be that the nut needs to be somewhat loose to allow for this.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 09 Nov 2019 15:28

Can you show us photos?

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 09 Nov 2019 19:37

If the nut is the one I'm thinking of, it's angled in towards the back? If so - the business end is a point which sits in a cone shaped socket and acts as the pivot point. It shouldn't be over-tightened or it will tend to tip the tonearm as you describe.

alfonsol

Post by alfonsol » 10 Nov 2019 02:57

thanks for all the answers,

i found the problem. the headshell was angled. i loosened the screw that holds it to the tonearm, i positiones it, and tightened the screw. problem solved.

This one is the turntable
tornamesa.jpg
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
i liked to work in this turntable, it was very easy to work on and now works perfect.
The only thing it needs now is a new stylus.
the cartridge is a ceramic BSR SC12

my friend also have the receiver that was sold with this turntable a Sony STR-230. it have provision for ceramic and magnetic carts.

Do you think a magnetic cart in this turntable will be an improvement over the ceramic?

the tonearm is no 1/2" mount it have only one screw, so for this i have to make an adapter. also i will have to improvise a counterbalance to adjust the weight because the magnetic cartridge will be heavier, and the adjust in the actual cartridge is 4g to 6g( i measured it to see the actual range i can adjust)

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 10 Nov 2019 15:34

You would be pushing the compliance of that tonearm with an MM cart. Can you borrow one to see if it sounds better? If you do decide to go MM - look at something like the Darling M22 - cheap and fairly forgiving.

clintadam
South Africa

Post by clintadam » 10 Nov 2019 16:51

I jave a BSR C141R looks the same that came in a Telefunken vintage hifi. The ceramic cartridge that came on mine is not that easy to find. My cartridge is damaged. I'm going to try and change out my Cartridge to. MM. My old vintage hifi does not have provision for a magnetic cartridge so i'm going to try and build in a phono stage to accommodate the Magnetic cartridge. Just hope i get it working properly again...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 10 Nov 2019 19:52

Magnetic will be definitely an improvement if the arm can handle the lower tracking force that will be required. Most ceramics needed around 6 grams, and most magnetics will need 2 to 3 grams. Remember to use the phono input if you try this.

alfonsol

Post by alfonsol » 11 Nov 2019 05:01

I had success using the shure sc35c to convert ceramic to magnetic.

The first one a PE66 was a bit tricky because of the hum, but it was solved replacing the cheap phono preamp i put in the console it was and put another better phono preamp. mechanically it was easy, a 1/2" mount was hidden behind the ceramic cartridge with 1 screw mount.

the second one was a garrard RC80, i this one the replacement gave me no problems.

on both i managed to track at 4g without problems.

In this one will be a bit trickier, i don¿t see a 1/2" mount, but i don't removed the cartridge yet.

another problem is the sc35c i getting very expensive here in chile, it used to be cheap, but not anymore
are there any cartridge alternatives to track at 4g or 5g?