Rega RP8 vs Clearaudio Concept vs Michell Gyro SE

snap, crackle and pop
kapsopod
Greece

Rega RP8 vs Clearaudio Concept vs Michell Gyro SE

Post by kapsopod » 07 Nov 2019 14:59

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a good turntable. Bear in mind I am still a beginner.

Because of the Rega P8 introduction, the prices on the Rega RP8 (with the Aphetta 2 MC) have come down a lot. So initially I thought this turntable would be a good idea because of its value for money. About £1600 would be the highest I would want to spend, which is what the RP8 costs now.

Then I thought maybe the Clearaudio Concept MM or MC could be a worthy challenger to the RP8. They both have the same price pretty much. The "advantage" of this turntable is that you can find it much cheaper second hand, but almost always without the original cartridge. Also much cheaper to the RP8, the Marantz TT15S1 can be found, which is made by Clearaudio and comes with MM only.

And to top up the confusion I already had between the above models and to go new or second hand, I think the turntable I like the most is the Michell Gyro SE, which I think is a more expensive choice than any of the others, but can be found for 1.2 - 1.5k second hand, with the RB300 tonearm and some MM or MC cartridge. This one I can only get second hand and I am not sure if there are things I need to look for, to avoid getting a problematic one.

Any help on how to approach the above trilemma or experience you might have with any of them would help.

Initially I liked the idea of getting the RP8 because of its MC cartridge, but then I read many good things about both the Clearaudio Concept MM & MC, so I was like "maybe MM is good enough too". And then the Michell Gyro SE, I think I like the most but I depend on whatever I can find second hand. I have not listened any of the 3 turntables :)

billshurv
long player
long player

Re: Rega RP8 vs Clearaudio Concept vs Michell Gyro SE

Post by billshurv » 07 Nov 2019 16:53

The Gyro is beautiful to just watch turning. I often regret not buying and original gyrodek back in the 80s. They are still supported and fairly bullet proof. Sound wise I cannot comment as not heared these 3 models.

warjon63
Australia

Post by warjon63 » 08 Nov 2019 07:48

I was an RP8, Apheta 2, Aria owner, all sold. The RP8 was a disappointment. I now have an SP10 with EPA100 and EPC205, this absolutely wipes the floor with the Rega.

Also don't be swayed for MC. There are a lot of great MM carts. My EPC205 has a Jico SAS/B stylus and it is way more detailed with better imaging than the Apheta 2.

kapsopod
Greece

Post by kapsopod » 08 Nov 2019 10:44

I think I lean towards Michell Gyro SE.

Strange you were disappointed by the RP8, Apheta 2 and Aria. I have read many posts for this particular setup where its owners praise it.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 08 Nov 2019 14:42

If I were going to buy either of the 3, I'd buy the Michell Gyro SE over the other choices. I tend to like the Michell better.

warjon63
Australia

Post by warjon63 » 09 Nov 2019 09:38

I bought the RP8 with Apheta 1 (replacing LP12 Ittok/Troika) and only used it for 20hrs before I packed it up in original box and stored it while I moved and renovated. When I set it up the bottom of Apheta case had fallen off making it mistrack severely.

As it was out of warranty the dealer kindly offered to upgrade me to the Ahpeta 2 for $1800 so I bought it. Still the setup was disappointing so the dealer suggested I buy the Aria, which I did, suffice to say I sold the Apheta 2 and Aria less than 2 months old.

I have not heard the Gyro SE but the SP10 is up there with the best I have heard.