Pioneer pl-12

snap, crackle and pop
Streekz
England

Pioneer pl-12

Post by Streekz » 22 Oct 2019 08:44

Hi all
New member seeking advice
I've had a pl-12d for ages n thought I'd get out for a check / service.
I only seem to have 1 of the retaining brackets that hold the turntable to the wooden base that you unscrew and slide to centre to remove base
And I only found that after following (Mr ives) guide and the thing nearly tipping out into dust cover :| :|
Do these brackets serve any purpose other than to stop it falling out if tipped over ?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Pioneer pl-12

Post by Pauw » 22 Oct 2019 11:31

If you have lose parts on a turntable, then there is always the chance of a resonance or two creeping in and colouring the sound. I don't think that it is too hard or difficult to get replacements and tighten them up. Next I would get a new genuine replacement belt,careful lubrication of the motor and bearing. I believe there are suspension springs within a PL 12 which should have foam in them. Find check and replace the foam....it is common enough and you can cut it to size.....a new stylus VTA and align, and then put the whole thing on a good firm base ( check the conditi9on of the feet ...clean or replace) and off you go for a good few years good quality vinyl listening.

Streekz
England

Post by Streekz » 22 Oct 2019 14:20

Cheers
Yes foam inserts we're dust so am replacing Was planning to replace bearing in main spindle/ regrease. New belt and renovate rubber motor mounts as guide
From what the manual looks like these brackets just stop the table from accidentally falling out of base if turned upside down but can't confirm as I only have 1 of them

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 22 Oct 2019 15:57

They do that but they need to be replaced and tightened down.....You are trying to take information which microns in diameter any extra movement or shake ( resonance) will impede your ability to do that ...so it might seem that it's not important but it will make a difference.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 22 Oct 2019 23:53

Those brackets only serve to lock the top plate down when transporting the turntable. In normal use they serve no purpose. When not in use, it makes sense to tighten them up so they don't buzz, but, alternately, if they are missing, they can't buzz.