Garrard Zero 100c

snap, crackle and pop
alfa_doctor
United States of America

Garrard Zero 100c

Post by alfa_doctor » 21 Oct 2019 00:37

New to the forum and searching for a few answers. I picked up the turntable some years ago at a garage sale in the 80s and it was playing well. It came with the plinth, auto spindle and single spindle. I put in a Grado FC+ stylus and it rocked my records. From what I gather this was a state of the art turntable when it came out.

Now here we are some years later with the turntable stored in a box. The C3 headshell broke when I tried to resolder some of the wires and just acquired a replacement (not all that easy to find).

My first question is "how to align the stylus in the headshell" since I don't have the factory alignment tool. I would imagine using the factory alignment tool the null points and overhang would be pretty spot on, as the brochure says that it doesn't need an alignment. Well, there is a slot for moving the stylus, so obviously there needs to be some alignment. What alignment tool, the Baer or?

2nd question has to do with the platter: Under the rubber, there are 6 screws. Do I need to remove the screws to get to anything for lubrication? Is there a better rubber platter than the factory? Mine is in remarkable condition for its age. Would I benefit from getting a record weight?

3rd question: What do I need to do underneath to get this turntable ready to go?

I love this turntable and hope to use it for some years to come.

spensar
Canada

Re: Garrard Zero 100c

Post by spensar » 21 Oct 2019 00:44

There may some useful information in this post from a few years ago.

https://www.vinylengine.com/my-time-a-g ... 00sb.shtml

alfa_doctor
United States of America

Post by alfa_doctor » 21 Oct 2019 08:29

Spensar, thank you for the article. I had found that earlier searching and that is a good one to start with.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 21 Oct 2019 22:34

Aligning the Zeros without the jig is a conundrum. I believe the stylus should be right under the pivot of the main beam, but it's hard to figure out where that is because of parallax error.
Standard offset protractors don't seem to help because it's possible to think you've aligned the cartridge but what you have done is aligned it so that if it were a fixed angle arm, it would be fine, but since it's changing its angle, its actually probably wronger than it would have been if it was a normal arm. Which seems more than a little ironic...
I think - but am not sure - that the little line on the side of the sled actually can be used to line up the stylus - again, parallax rears its ugly head.
It would seem that there might be a small market for 3D printed replacement jigs.

alfa_doctor
United States of America

Post by alfa_doctor » 23 Oct 2019 04:07

I would be one of the first ones to buy one. Most likely I will do a deep dive and search for one. have to have one for a model before one can replicate one in a 3D compositor.
Thank you for the tip.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 23 Oct 2019 14:15

Somewhere around in a forum I found a mm measurment of the stylus tip related to the front or backend of the sled. If I only could find that post now... I made a cardboard template based on this. But it´s at home and I´m at work. Will post when/if I find it.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 23 Oct 2019 14:19

Ah here we go, found it! Look at post #10 in this thread over att AK:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php ... ta.447099/

It worked for me