That Darn Cat

snap, crackle and pop
musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

That Darn Cat

Post by musicmn » 17 Oct 2019 22:35

Hi everyone, I want to start by saying that I work on a lot of turntables and I've seen a lot of stuff inside them. But every once in a while I come across one that just leaves me shaking my head. I just serviced this Technics SL 23 belt drive turntable for 23 year guy who found it in his aunts basement along with about 100 classic rock records. The aunt obviously liked cats and the guy told me at one time she had 10 of them running around her house :? One or more of them must have liked to lay on top of this turntable as you can see in my pictures this is what I found after I took the platter off and removed the mechanism from the plinth. I wish I had taken a picture of the bottom. Because once I took it off there was at least 1/2" of cat hair, dust and dirt on the inside. I have a small compressor so I blew that off and blew off the inside of the turntable. Most of the hair you see on the main cam wheel and on the mechanism was stuck from the old lube. I had to clean that with a rag soaked in alcohol.The top two pictures show how dirty the turntable was and the other pictures are how it turned out after a good cleaning and new lubrication. I also replace the belt (of course) and installed a Stanton NOS stylus on the Stanton cartridge. The guy found the stylus in one of the boxes of records and it really was unopened. He also told me that his family was going to throw everything in the trash until he found out about it and rescued the turntable and LP's. He got my name and number from a colleague of his that I service a couple of turntables for early this year. I'm glad he did the turntable turned out nicely and plays and sounds great. It should last him for a number of years and I think it sounds and preforms better then most new ones. For the sharp eyed in the crowd you will notice a burn mark in the dust cover (bottom picture left hand corner). Someone over the years placed cigarette of some kind :wink: on the lid and let it burn down to far. I though I would post this for a laugh or two :D
Attachments
Technics sl23 turntable 011 (Copy).JPG
(125.63 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
technics sl23 turntable 001 (Copy).JPG
(110.64 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Technics sl23 turntable 014 (Copy).JPG
(104.56 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
technics sl23 turntable 002 (Copy).JPG
(146.37 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
technics sl23 turntable 004 (Copy).JPG
(135.21 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Copperhead
long player
long player

Re: That Darn Cat

Post by Copperhead » 17 Oct 2019 23:03

I honestly hope that brown residue was old lubricant, doubtful though. Not to turn this into a cat versus dog thread, but..

You did a great job, it looks like a different deck.

By the way, your knowledge of turntable's mechanics is impressive. One of the best contributors here.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 17 Oct 2019 23:51

Hi Copperhead, thanks for the complement it's very much appreciated. I saw that brown residue and just didn't want to think about it to much :-& I definitely wore latex gloves while working on this one. Thanks again!

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 18 Oct 2019 00:32

musicmn wrote:
17 Oct 2019 23:51
Hi Copperhead, thanks for the complement it's very much appreciated. I saw that brown residue and just didn't want to think about it to much :-& I definitely wore latex gloves while working on this one. Thanks again!
You're welcome. You must have helped a fair amount of folk sorting their auto mechs, all with photographs and arrows pointing to the offending article. You also appear to have images of the innards of most of the popular turntables ever built.

Latex gloves are always a good idea where unknown brown stains are concerned. Bet the owner thought you'd swapped his deck for another one.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Oct 2019 05:03

I'm glad you got your paws on that one and rescued it, musicmn...It sounds like a purr-fectly hair-raising ordeal! But, at least it looks like the "cat's meow" now! And fortunately, it didn't get thrown out with the rest of the litter, either... :wink: :roll:

lapratho

Post by lapratho » 18 Oct 2019 05:52

OY! What a rescue! This is worthy of a Hollywood action thriller, if Sly Stallone just weren't getting too damned old for THIS damned feat!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 18 Oct 2019 15:38

vinyl master wrote:
18 Oct 2019 05:03
I'm glad you got your paws on that one and rescued it, musicmn...It sounds like a purr-fectly hair-raising ordeal! But, at least it looks like the "cat's meow" now! And fortunately, it didn't get thrown out with the rest of the litter, either... :wink: :roll:
vinyl master: you made my day Thanks :D

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 18 Oct 2019 15:40

lapratho wrote:
18 Oct 2019 05:52
OY! What a rescue! This is worthy of a Hollywood action thriller, if Sly Stallone just weren't getting too damned old for THIS damned feat!
WOW being mentioned with Sly Stallone Thanks 8)