DUAL tonearm not in level with horizon

snap, crackle and pop
Hanszmansz

DUAL tonearm not in level with horizon

Post by Hanszmansz » 17 Oct 2019 19:59

Hello, I/m working on a dual 1219. Sofar so good, waiting for steuerpimpel. Just installed a new stylus, as I noticed that the cartidge (Shure m91 mg-d) leans over to the right and so is the whole tonearm.. Looking at my dual 601, its perfectly even/180 degrees. Is there a way to loosing the arm (the long aluminium pipe) and turn it a few degrees?
This is my first Dual project but this seems to be a big problem :(

greetings, Hans , the netherlands

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: DUAL tonearm not in level with horizon

Post by musicmn » 18 Oct 2019 01:16

Hi Hans and greetings from the USA. You stated that the entire tonearm is leaning? I wonder if by chance that the ears on the deering ring have broken. The 1219 & 1229 are a couple of the Dual models that have a multi play and single play feature. The lever to switch from single to multi is located up on the right side of the tonearm. NEVER MOVE THIS LEVER until the turntable has been serviced!! If this lever is forced to move the "Ears" on the deering ring will break from the strain of the lever being forced to move ( see first picture light blue arrow). If these ears break off of the deering ring the tonearm will not work until they are repaired or the deering ring or entire tonearm has been replaced. The ears on the deering ring in this picture are intact and the tonearm is okay to use. Dual used and O ring and two small ball bearings to keep the tonearm up for multi play and down for single play. The ball bearings are under the O ring pinched to the notched shaft. This O ring turns hard as a rock over the years and will not flex to allow the rod with the notches (first picture yellow arrow) to move freely breaking the ears on the deering ring. The second picture is showing where the O ring is located and this one is rock hard. Don't be fooled by the looks they do turn hard from age. The only way to know for sure if the ears on the deering ring are not broken is to remove the tonearm from the turntable and inspect them. Removing the tonearm is a very complex job but it can be done. You will need to read the service manual available in the library on this site to remove and install the tonearm correctly. There are also some parts associated with the single play/multi play lever that need to be cleaned and lubricated with fresh grease. These parts are located under the beauty plate that the tonearm sits on. One picture is showing the parts once the beauty plate is removed and the other picture shows just the parts. The yellow arrow in both of the last two pictures is showing a bearing that is usually frozen from old grease. This needs to be removed cleaned and then lubricated so it turns. Also the O ring need to replaced with a new one they are available on Ebay or Dualfred out of Germany might have them. I hope this helps and let use know what you find.
Attachments
Dual 1219 turntable extra pics 008 (Copy).JPG
Blue arrow is pointing to the EARs of the deering ring. There is one on each side
(125.03 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Dual 1219 turntable extra pics 001 (Copy) (Copy).JPG
O ring and notched shaft. This O ring is rock hard from age. the white arrow is pointing to the post where the steuerpimple is mounted.
(202.37 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Dual 1219 turntable 014 (Copy).JPG
Parts of the single play/multi play mechanism that are located under the beauty plate that the tonearm sits on.
(81.79000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Dual 1219 turntable 012 (Copy).JPG
Once the beauty plate is removed this how the parts look yellow arrow is showing a bearing that usually frozen from old grease.
(115.03 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Hanszmansz

Post by Hanszmansz » 18 Oct 2019 18:16

Hi Musicman, thanks for your elaborate reply! First I checked the o-ring, its there,and looks alright. I can't feel if it's really hard so better replace it anyway :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/185076699@ ... ed-public/
About the tonearm: before you warned me not to move the lever, I used it allready and when going from multi to simple etc the arm smoothly goes up and down.
I do believe that it is the headshell that if not lined up with the arm, like it had a blow or some force on it or something.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/185076699@ ... ed-public/
So I can either try to loosen the aluminium long part of the arm en turn it a few degrees. Or i loosen the shell from the arm itself and turn it a few degrees. (Or get a new complete headshell, but then again, maybe it's the long aluminium arm that is a few degrees rotated some how).
Anyway I think I should try the simple operations first because being a newby I do take the risk of never be able to reassemble what I just took apart :)
So, is there a way to loosen only the long aluminium part of the arm so I can rotate it a few degrees?
And do you need a tool to remove the cartridge from the shell?

Best regards,

Hans
(by the way, just received today a 40 years old 1229 from ebay)

tep392
United States of America

Post by tep392 » 18 Oct 2019 18:42

The arm tube on my 1219 will rotate if loosen the screw for the counter weight coarse adjustment. I adjust azimuth this way.

Hanszmansz

Post by Hanszmansz » 21 Oct 2019 19:06

Hi Tep391, i can loosen the screw for counterweight. this releases the weight/counterweight but does not loosen the arm...
I'll continue looking for an solution, best, Hans

tep392
United States of America

Post by tep392 » 21 Oct 2019 20:23

It was worth at try. I've wondered if the tube should be glued into the block it's inserted into. It's possible mine was disassembled at sometime and then reassembled without adhesive, so it's rotates if the screw is lossened.
tube.jpg
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Hanszmansz

Post by Hanszmansz » 21 Oct 2019 20:32

haha, that would explain a lot :) Maybe, if you dis-assemble the whole arm, it is possible but i don't feel i'm up to the job :) I think it's time to go to a pro :oops:

Hanszmansz

Post by Hanszmansz » 21 Oct 2019 20:32

but, i did fix the steuerpimple :)