help with a Turntable I found

snap, crackle and pop
pyran8
Israel

help with a Turntable I found

Post by pyran8 » 13 Oct 2019 10:14

Hello,
So I'm a really new enthusiast of turntable, and I found in my grandfather garage 2 turntables.
the first is "Garrard SP25 MK IV" but without any amplifier or connection for phono in the matter.
and the second was "Pioneer PL-Z82" without the main "stereo double cassette deck amplifier" it should have connected to.

what is the best way to approach this? just buy an amplifier for the first one? or maybe buying the desired amplifier for the second?
which of the two is the better turntable?
I have an old car amplifier "BLAUPUNKT BSX 120" is there a way I could connect my turntables to it?

thank you in advance!

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: help with a Turntable I found

Post by tlscapital » 13 Oct 2019 10:49

Both "entry" level not worth much on the market FWIW. Restored they should suffice to please the young beginner.

The Garrard is an idler drive turntable with basic electronics that should be easily DIY fixed by tweaker's hand if ever.

The Technics is a direct drive that would require to know how to fix printed circuit board if ever. A pro won't be bother.

The Technics seem to have a P-mount cartridge meaning less choice for cartridges where the Garrard seemingly not.

I doubt that your BLAUPUNKT BSX 120 has an internal preamp as it seems to be an auto audio device for tape and CD.

So you'll need a preamp as well. You could buy an affordable, even PCB to built in, preamp and consider a new stylus.
Last edited by tlscapital on 13 Oct 2019 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 13 Oct 2019 10:53

Garrard SP25 MK IV is the better one, although rather entry level but pretty reliable full automatic changer. I assume it has has some kind of cable coming out - unless it is taken off from larger unit.
Basically you need to purchase PHONO preamp, connect TT to it and from there to Blaupunkt.

pyran8
Israel

Post by pyran8 » 13 Oct 2019 15:44

I have a "Stinger SLOCII fixed high power to line output converter" that was with the BLAUPUNKT BSX 120.

whats it for? can it help me?
do you have recomendations for a good pre-amp I could use that don't cost too much?
will I be able to set it up with a JBL soundbar?
what about the other TT?

thanks

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 13 Oct 2019 20:31

The Stinger would seem to be a device for converting the speaker outputs of a car stereo head unit to line level, for connection to the inputs of the Blaupunkt amp. Neither piece would seem to have much relevance for home use, especially as the Blaupunkt likely works on 12V DC, not mains power.

The Garrard is a decent basic turntable, but it needs to be connected to a home amplifier (or receiver) that has phono inputs, and a pair of speakers.

The Pioneer was likely part of a "rack system", not designed for use with normal components. I'm not sure what the Technics is that tlscapital is referring to since I see no mention of it in your original post.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 13 Oct 2019 23:05

denvertrakker wrote:
13 Oct 2019 20:31
The Stinger would seem to be a device for converting the speaker outputs of a car stereo head unit to line level, for connection to the inputs of the Blaupunkt amp. Neither piece would seem to have much relevance for home use, especially as the Blaupunkt likely works on 12V DC, not mains power.

The Garrard is a decent basic turntable, but it needs to be connected to a home amplifier (or receiver) that has phono inputs, and a pair of speakers.

The Pioneer was likely part of a "rack system", not designed for use with normal components. I'm not sure what the Technics is that tlscapital is referring to since I see no mention of it in your original post.
My very first system, I was around 13, consisted of car stereo components run by a 12v adapter. At some point my fiend connected a turntable to it, some way or another. I had nothing to compare it to, but it sounded okay.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 13 Oct 2019 23:37

I would ask friends and relatives or even co-workers if there is a lonely forgotten receiver laying in storage that could be had cheap or free. I have filled my needs many times just by asking at the right time. Even asking nicely at local used record stores and boot sales/yard sales/rummage sales. I scored a working Dual 1218 changer with Shure M91 cartridge and good stylus for the cost of carrying it home 6 blocks. They got it with a collection and were gonna toss it. No lid but all 3 spindles and the brushed aluminum base. I even passed up sadly a Sansui receiver, Dual changer complete and a big a%* pair of speakers for ten bux one summer a couple years ago as I couldn't store it, didn't need it and didn't have a willing and needy recipient in mind. It even worked but the records were already sold.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 14 Oct 2019 09:48

denvertrakker wrote:
13 Oct 2019 20:31
I'm not sure what the Technics is that tlscapital is referring to since I see no mention of it in your original post.
My bad; it's a Pioneer... DOH ! #-o

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 14 Oct 2019 10:34

I have had a car amp for home use. While it is not designed for it it is doable with good(and you have to know what this "good" means) 12V power adapter. But since you seem to be kind of new to audio stuff I would not bother and get vintage amp with PHONO written somewhere on it. And vintage speakers.
If you want to use JBL you need Phono preamp. JBL has amp in it but no Phono. To start with get the cheapest one. Pretty much all under 100 sound the same and you want to replace it sooner or later. With vintage integrated amps you may have much better luck finding satisfactory combo that you will enjoy many years.

pyran8
Israel

Post by pyran8 » 15 Oct 2019 23:36

first of all i want to say thank you for your response and for trying to help its great!!

this is some pictures of the back of my Garrard:

https://imgur.com/a/sjd6CF4

I believe as shown by the last picture, these are the wires that the sound travels on. but i have no idea what to do with them, I'll like help. thanks

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 16 Oct 2019 00:03

It appears the signal wires have been cut. You'll need a new cable with RCA plugs at one end and bare wire the other end. The solder connections, L to R, appear to be left channel hot, left channel ground, TT ground, right channel ground and right channel hot. If you've never soldered before, this can be a learning experience. Small solder irons are relatively inexpensive.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 16 Oct 2019 00:37

A further thought: Before investing any more time and effort, you should determine if the turntable even operates, i.e. if the motor works. I see a power cord, but can't tell what's on the other end. There may be a reason why the signal wires were cut. Bechats lachah! (Hope I got that right...)

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Oct 2019 02:13

denvertrakker wrote:
16 Oct 2019 00:03
It appears the signal wires have been cut. You'll need a new cable with RCA plugs at one end and bare wire the other end. The solder connections, L to R, appear to be left channel hot, left channel ground, TT ground, right channel ground and right channel hot. If you've never soldered before, this can be a learning experience. Small solder irons are relatively inexpensive.
These wires shouldn't be normal RCA interconnect. The wires need to be "low capacitance" / "phono" cables.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 16 Oct 2019 12:36

The wires need to be "low capacitance" / "phono" cables.
We have been living with many kind and quality phono leads up 'til 21st century and known nothing about capacitance. With this rather entry level TT I would not bother about special cables. Any decent ones will do that you can buy from supermarket. Just cut off one end being RCA or mini-plug.
The cartridge that it has supplied with has been Shure M75 that likes lots of capacitance(400-500pF), also Pickering V15. If you plan to use AT carts you may consider low cap cable.

pyran8
Israel

Post by pyran8 » 16 Oct 2019 14:15

so lets assume ill buy the phono preamp, and the cables that are needed, I connect the bare wires like that:
left cable to the left connection of the brown panel on the wire end, and on the phono end to a pre-amp.
right cable to the right connection of the brown panel on the wire end, and on the phono end to a pre-amp.
and all the middle 3 connection of the brown panel to the ground screw in the pre-amp.
is that correct?

a PP444 or PP999 from "Pyle" from amazon would do the trick as a pre-amp?