Sansui FR-3060 counterweight

snap, crackle and pop
gussers

Sansui FR-3060 counterweight

Post by gussers » 09 Oct 2019 21:59

I was just given a Sansui FR-3060 because the headshell won't lower due to the counterweight being too heavy, although it looks like the correct one. When the catch is released it just sits there with the head in the air and there's no adjusting the counterweight to fix this. It's all the way in. Is there a solution? I could try a heavier headshell but the original is on there. Maybe extra weight? Thanks.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Sansui FR-3060 counterweight

Post by musicmn » 09 Oct 2019 22:27

Hi, have you set up the tonearm according to the operating manual? It's available in the library on this site along with the service manual. Also did you follow the instruction in the manual on how to use this turntable ? it's a fully automatic so the instructions need to be followed to use it correctly. Now if the tonearm still won't drop when you followed the instructions then lock the tonearm down in the rest stand and rotate the platter by hand until you hear a click. Sometimes by moving a turntable around or from it just sitting used for a long time the mechanism gets out of sync and turning the platter by hand until you hear a click should reset the mechanism. The click is a micro switch that turns the turntable on and off. Another issue could be that the cue elevator that raises the tonearm could be stuck from old damping fluid. Sansui like a lot other manufacturers used silicone damping fluid on the cue piston to slow the drop rate of the tonearm. Over a long period of non use this damping can either leak out which causes the tonearm to drop like a rock. Or it can get very thick from age and it won't allow the tonearm to drop at all. If you don't have the tracking force setting for the current cartridge installed you will need it to set up the tonearm correctly. Look the cartridge over for any name and or model number then google that info. A bunch of sites will pop up that sell new stlyi and cartridges and one of them will have the tracking force range. I hope this helps and let use know how it goes.

gussers

Post by gussers » 10 Oct 2019 01:14

Thanks but it looks like it's just a weight problem I've never seen before. It's like the counterweight is too heavy but I know it's the right one. I can't dial it in to balance the tonearm. I know my way around turntables but thought it might need a heavier headshell cartridge combination.

gussers

Post by gussers » 10 Oct 2019 03:07

Problem solved (reading the manual from here obviously helped). The previous owner had added the extra sub weight!