Turntable upgrade

snap, crackle and pop
Mw713

Turntable upgrade

Post by Mw713 » 28 Sep 2019 13:08

So I’ve narrowed down my upgrade to the VPI prime Signature and the Luxman 171A. I just want to put out some feelers for opinions, people that have heard both of these turntables or one. I’ve done a lot of research on reviews and sound of the turntables and I’m kind of torn between the detailed sound of a VPI and the warmer sound of the Luxman.

Down stream components are Octave V80 SE and Raidho XT-2 speakers.

Unfortunately it would not be possible for a demo.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Turntable upgrade

Post by cafe latte » 28 Sep 2019 13:29

Mw713 wrote:
28 Sep 2019 13:08
So I’ve narrowed down my upgrade to the VPI prime Signature and the Luxman 171A. I just want to put out some feelers for opinions, people that have heard both of these turntables or one. I’ve done a lot of research on reviews and sound of the turntables and I’m kind of torn between the detailed sound of a VPI and the warmer sound of the Luxman.

Down stream components are Octave V80 SE and Raidho XT-2 speakers.

Unfortunately it would not be possible for a demo.
Wow and flutter on the vip prime is more than 0.1%, that is huge for a turntable that cost a that much. Look at new sl1200g.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 29 Sep 2019 01:16

cafe latte wrote:
28 Sep 2019 13:29
Wow and flutter on the vip prime is more than 0.1%, that is huge for a turntable that cost a that much. Look at new sl1200g.
No it isn't. Prime signature WAF is 0.03%. If we're just comparing stats, prime signature has a longer arm, less offset angle, heaver platter, and less rumble than the sl1200g.

IMO, don't just compare stats, go listen to them if you can. Look for the features you want in a table.

I don't have hands on experience with the new 1200 or that luxman, but I do really like the VPI prime tables and unipivot arms.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 29 Sep 2019 17:53

I refuse to play the "VPI Game" (I presently own one), so consequently I can't recommend their product.

Buy the Luxman if you must choose between the two.

Cheers,
Al

sturgus
United States of America

Post by sturgus » 29 Sep 2019 21:40

I love the look of the Luxman, but the arm and the platter is better on the VPI. Since I have a VPI I am a bit biased. If I were to get the Luxman I would buy the armless model and put a SME or an Audiomods on it. The good thing is either one will be a great table. Let us know what you choose.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 29 Sep 2019 23:30

kalaur wrote:
29 Sep 2019 01:16
cafe latte wrote:
No it isn't. Prime signature WAF is 0.03%. If we're just comparing stats, prime signature has a longer arm, less offset angle, heaver platter, and less rumble than the sl1200g.

IMO, don't just compare stats, go listen to them if you can. Look for the features you want in a table.

I don't have hands on experience with the new 1200 or that luxman, but I do really like the VPI prime tables and unipivot arms.
The Technics is 0.025% wow and flutter in specs, but it measures lower, by my maths 0 03 is more. Also I read a review where vpi wow and flutter measured 0.1% which is a lot more hence my comment. The rumble for the Technics is seriously low, as the wow and flutter for the vpi is exaggerated probably the rumble is too..
Chris

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 29 Sep 2019 23:46

cafe latte wrote:
29 Sep 2019 23:30
kalaur wrote:
29 Sep 2019 01:16
cafe latte wrote:

The Technics is 0.025% wow and flutter in specs, but it measures lower, by my maths 0 03 is more. Also I read a review where vpi wow and flutter measured 0.1% which is a lot more hence my comment. The rumble for the Technics is seriously low, as the wow and flutter for the vpi is exaggerated probably the rumble is too..
Chris
lol.

Mw713

Post by Mw713 » 30 Sep 2019 12:13

Thanks for the replies so far. Still thinking about it. I'm starting to lean towards the VPI due to the better arm and plater as stated. Any info on the sound characteristics of the VPI would be helpful.
Thanks.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 30 Sep 2019 22:11

Hello,

If you are going to drop that amount of spending on a table, you have to find a way to listen to them. You can't just go on a recommendation or a review; that just narrows the field for audition. If listening to these is not possible, then make a shortlist of some you can and listen to those. Blooming heck, this is like picking a wife from a catalogue, and meeting her a month later at the airport with all her luggage (and mother, didn't expect that!) to take her home. :roll: [-X

Mike.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 01 Oct 2019 03:40

Woodbrains wrote:
30 Sep 2019 22:11
Hello,

If you are going to drop that amount of spending on a table, you have to find a way to listen to them. You can't just go on a recommendation or a review; that just narrows the field for audition. If listening to these is not possible, then make a shortlist of some you can and listen to those. Blooming heck, this is like picking a wife from a catalogue, and meeting her a month later at the airport with all her luggage (and mother, didn't expect that!) to take her home. :roll: [-X

Mike.
A turntable you can sell if you don't like it, a wife will take half your money if you don't like it.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 01 Oct 2019 05:05

kalaur wrote:
01 Oct 2019 03:40
Woodbrains wrote:
Hello,

Mike.
A turntable you can sell if you don't like it, a wife will take half your money if you don't like it.
True but you are not going to get all your money back. The OP said he had narrowed his search down to two turntables, but but is this hearing them or not? My comparison to the Technics sl1200g was simply to show what is available and one example well speced and good sounding IMO at least. 6k is a good budget, if all else is is right with lots of possibilities. I would advise widening search and listening to choices if possible, also look at rest of system.
Chris

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 01 Oct 2019 08:10

cafe latte wrote:
01 Oct 2019 05:05
kalaur wrote:
01 Oct 2019 03:40
Woodbrains wrote:
Hello,

Mike.
True but you are not going to get all your money back. The OP said he had narrowed his search down to two turntables, but but is this hearing them or not? My comparison to the Technics sl1200g was simply to show what is available and one example well speced and good sounding IMO at least. 6k is a good budget, if all else is is right with lots of possibilities. I would advise widening search and listening to choices if possible, also look at rest of system.
Chris
Hello,

The OP explains he CAN'T audition them, and has narrowed his choice on recommendation and reviews. Personally I think it is daft to spend, what, 6 grand on hearsay. I've eaten in restaurants based on recommendation; it is only a smallish sum lost if they didn't suit, and I didn't have to go back again. Buying something for that value, and it being rather difficult and lossy to offload if all goes pear shaped is not something I'd do.

Mike.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 01 Oct 2019 09:00

detailed or warm can both be tuned up or down regardless of the turntable.

Just buy the one that delights your eye and justify it later like everyone else does.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 01 Oct 2019 10:31

aardvarkash10 wrote:
01 Oct 2019 09:00

Just buy the one that delights your eye and justify it later like everyone else does.
You cant tune wow and flutter out..
Chris

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 01 Oct 2019 19:55

cafe latte wrote:
01 Oct 2019 10:31
aardvarkash10 wrote:
01 Oct 2019 09:00

You cant tune wow and flutter out..
Chris
that is true Chris, but people who can get enthuse about the "warm and engaging sonic signature" from vinyl reproduced through a single-ended tube amp and deride the "cold and clinical" reproduction of digital or *sharp intake of breath* a specific japanese direct drive turntable? They can adapt to any measured shortcoming.

Not referencing anyone here - just a general observation.