Power cord suggestion?

snap, crackle and pop
terry-a

Power cord suggestion?

Post by terry-a » 21 Sep 2019 15:53

Several years ago I found a nice 2 prong shielded power cord that I used on two turntable restorations, but I can't remember where I found it and I've been searching online and can't seem to find it again. I'm not talking about the high zoot snake oil power cords that look like a cobra. I'm just looking for a basic, quality, shielded 2 prong cord suitable for a turntable.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to replace the cables on my newly acquired Phase Linear 8000 and while I'm in there I'd like to replace the power cord.

terry-a

Re: Power cord suggestion?

Post by terry-a » 21 Sep 2019 19:24

Perhaps it's not shielded. I may have had made that up.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 21 Sep 2019 20:08

terry-a wrote:
21 Sep 2019 19:24
Perhaps it's not shielded. I may have had made that up.
Time does funny things to memories. Most of the turntables I have owned used simple 2 core cable, on some I replaced the cable with 3 core. To be honest, heard no difference in sound whatsoever, but it probably added a level of safety. The Lenco top plate is metal, and every now and then I got a slight tingle if my arm brushed on some of them.

Shielded cable AC is available, but I doubt you would hear any improvements in the sound. Of course, I might be wrong. Some will swear by it.

When swapping the AC cable from 2 to 3 core, some decks might develop a hum loop .

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 21 Sep 2019 20:31

Thanks.

It's funny how I look for the last few weeks then find the source of the cords previously purchased after I post here.

Two core existing in this table so it should be good.

Looking forward to getting this one up to it's full operating potential. It looks good so far but it won't get a proper audition until I make these upgrades, install one of my vintage MM cartridges, and move it into the main listening system.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Sep 2019 22:31

If you get a tingle from the top plate, reverse the plug in the socket, or if the plug is polrized, reverse the wires.

Cheers,
Alec

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 30 Sep 2019 01:08

The only time I have ever bothered with replacing a power cord was when the old one was damaged. My go-to is to hit the local thrift shop for a $1 non-polarized removable power cord, snip the end off, and solder it in.