Removing tonearm from pivot in Denon DP300F?

deeply dp
ultradianguy
United States of America

Removing tonearm from pivot in Denon DP300F?

Post by ultradianguy » 20 Sep 2019 22:58

I posted this question in an old thread that related to this - but thought perhaps I should just start a new one.
I have a Denon DP-300F turntable - the cartridge azimuth is off by over 3 degrees. The tonearm has two adjustments that allow rotating it but both are on the bottom and difficult or impossible to access without removing the tonearm from the mount. (There are two screws in front that apparently allow small adjustment and then there appears to be a set screw in the back, right under the pivot, that would allow the tonearm to rotate ).

Rather than shim each cartridge to get the angle right, I'm thinking I should just remove the two screws that hold the tonearm in the pivot, make the adjustments and put it back.

But something tells me this could be a bigger deal than I think - so I'm hoping to get some advice as to what to expect. Is there anything tricky about getting the tonearm back into the pivot/bearings once I've taken it out? I can't tell how the centering is done (horizontally) - can the two screws be adjusted by eye to get it back to center?

Thanks!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Removing tonearm from pivot in Denon DP300F?

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Sep 2019 23:14

I would expect all those screws to be set-screws. Try loosening them, without removing them. Straighten the arm, then re-tighten.

Cheers,
Alec

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Sep 2019 23:20

Let us know.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 21 Sep 2019 00:54

ultradianguy wrote:
20 Sep 2019 22:58

The tonearm has two adjustments that allow rotating it but both are on the bottom and difficult or impossible to access without removing the tonearm from the mount. (There are two screws in front that apparently allow small adjustment and then there appears to be a set screw in the back, right under the pivot, that would allow the tonearm to rotate ).

Thanks!
You can bend a small screwdriver, and use a mirror to see what you are doing, to get to the screws. Use a spirit level on the platter then set the top of the headshell parallel to it.

The screw by the pivot will allow the wand to rotate, usually the ones by the headshell are only there to hold the connector firmly in place. Some allow for some small movement, but most don't as the hole they sit in is not much wider than the screw.

chgc

Post by chgc » 21 Sep 2019 01:37

I did a similar adjustment on a Technics turntable last week using a bit from an electronics repair kit held in a small set of vice grips. Select a bit that fits snugly so that you won’t have to exert a lot of force to keep it from slipping out of the screw head, possibly damaging the screw. The two screws by the headshell gave me all the rotation I needed, which is good, because getting at the ones on the other end might indeed require removing the tonearm. I just set the azimuth by eye. As you probably already know, there is usually some slop in the headshell attachment such that you can loosen the collar, gently twist the the headshell, then retighten the collar while holding the headshell in position.

ultradianguy
United States of America

Post by ultradianguy » 21 Sep 2019 02:32

Thanks all for the incredibly quick responses! So that's a great suggestions about bending a small screwdriver. If the two set screws near the collar don't provide the needed movement, I definitely can't get at the other one without removing the arm. So - is that something I should avoid?
The issue with holding the headshell in place while tigtening the collar - this arm has a pin that registers into a slot and orients the headshell - so I don't think there's any way to change the angle that way - other than breaking the pin.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Sep 2019 02:38

That pin is not a tight fit, and there is a bit of play in there.
BTW if you place a small mirror on the platter, you can align the cartridge to its reflection. The eye is very sensitive to deviations from a straight line.

Cheers,
Alec

ultradianguy
United States of America

Post by ultradianguy » 22 Sep 2019 03:33

So no one has responded about removing the tonearm - is that because no one else has done it - or because you strongly recommend I don't do it?
It's clear that it would be so much easier to do this if I could remove the tonearm instead of trying to adapt tools to fit into the space.

Is this such a bad idea that it's not even spoken of? Sort of like Lord Voldemort? :) :)

chgc

Post by chgc » 22 Sep 2019 03:57

I’ve never removed the tonearm on a DP300F. I’m sure it is possible. I have no idea if you can do it.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 22 Sep 2019 14:53

ultradianguy wrote:
22 Sep 2019 03:33
So no one has responded about removing the tonearm - is that because no one else has done it - or because you strongly recommend I don't do it?
It's clear that it would be so much easier to do this if I could remove the tonearm instead of trying to adapt tools to fit into the space.

Is this such a bad idea that it's not even spoken of? Sort of like Lord Voldemort? :) :)
It's a fairly new turntable that comes already set up, chances are no one here has removed the arm yet because there hasn't been cause to do so.

Folk are advising you to try other methods probably because they assume it would be easier than to remove the tonearm. Unless the arm is glued into place it will be possible to remove it, I can't see it being too complicated as the deck looks fairly simple.

Maybe post a few photographs of the arm, where it's fixed to the deck, and of the deck's underside with cover removed.

chgc

Post by chgc » 22 Sep 2019 16:36

If you do try to remove the tonearm, I advise you not to do it by disassembling the gimbal/pivots. These bearings can be very difficult to take apart and adjust. But, as I said, I’ve never worked on a DP-300F.

ultradianguy
United States of America

Post by ultradianguy » 23 Sep 2019 04:52

Thank you all - I should have listened to Alec in the first place. I didn't think there was as much play as there obviously is - I did exactly what Alec suggested, and got it correctly set.
Chgc - thanks, that's what I was asking - whether that was something to avoid. Glad I did!