Rotel rp 830 tonearm bearings

snap, crackle and pop
Andersky
Australia

Rotel rp 830 tonearm bearings

Post by Andersky » 20 Sep 2019 10:06

Hi all, I'm looking for any tips/tricks with accessing the tonearm bearings (or this rp's equivalent of). The needle started skipping repeatedly for no obvious reason and after much trouble shooting and elimination, I'm 99% sure it's being caused by inhibited side-to-side movement. Either way I'd like to service the bearings and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this particular turntable.
I've got the user manual and service manual and I've done a lot of googling but i can't find any info regarding the correct way to disassemble the pivot mechanism after I've removed it from the table.
Thanks in advance if anyone has any info :)

nat
long player
long player

Re: Rotel rp 830 tonearm bearings

Post by nat » 20 Sep 2019 23:16

I'd try flushing the bearings - if it's side to side, it is the vertically oriented shaft, which probably is a shaft with ball races. If there is dirt or rust in the bearing, flushing it out may work. Actually disassembling it is fraught with hazard - there are a lot of tiny ball bearings in the top and bottom races, none of which actually want to be there, so when you take the thing apart, they tend to scatter to the four corners of the earth, and then when you reassemble the bearings, you may find the only way to keep the balls in place is to use grease, in which case you will need to flush the grease out anyway. Getting the bearings tight enough not to rattle, and loose enough to cause minimum friction, is not easy, and taking it apart may cause much greater problems than you are trying to solve.

Andersky
Australia

Re: Rotel rp 830 tonearm bearings

Post by Andersky » 22 Sep 2019 13:20

Thanks nat, yes it does sound quite tricky and id prefer not to risk causing greater issues - i bought this turntable when i was about 18 years old so it's been with me for 25 years! I did have a go at flushing the bearing with a few drops of isopropanol from the underside but it hasn't helped so ill give it another go and ill use more fluid this time. It would probably be more effective if i could flush it from the high side of the bearings but this area is shrouded by the vertical pivot housing and i haven't been able to figure out how it's removed :roll: