Kyocera PL-601 Turntable Anti-Skate Weight

snap, crackle and pop
Joealso

Kyocera PL-601 Turntable Anti-Skate Weight

Post by Joealso » 18 Sep 2019 21:47

Hi, I've just moved and I'm setting up my Kyocera PL-601 turntable that I've had since the 1980's. Still running great but somehow during the move I've lost the small antiskate weight. There's one for sale on ebay for $34. Argh! I'm sure I can find or make something else that will work just fine but I need to know how much that little doodad weighs.

If you don't know that, maybe you can answer this: Am I right in thinking that if I'm applying 1.5 grams of weight that i should also be applying 1.5 grams of anti-skate?

Thanks for any assistance!

Joe

Copperhead
long player
long player

Re: Kyocera PL-601 Turntable Anti-Skate Weight

Post by Copperhead » 19 Sep 2019 01:11

Joealso wrote:
18 Sep 2019 21:47

Am I right in thinking that if I'm applying 1.5 grams of weight that i should also be applying 1.5 grams of anti-skate?
Roughly speaking, yes. Difficult to tell exactly how much anti-skate is actually applied, though. Most people rely on test records, ears and cantilever deflection to set anti-skate. Not as easy to measure as VTF.

The original would be made, I imagine, from non magnetic metal and I am pretty sure weighs 1.7 grams. Many tonearms used chromed brass for counterweights and bias weights, you could easily file a bit of brass or copper till you get the right weight. I understand why you are reluctant to pay $35 for one.

Joealso

Re: Kyocera PL-601 Turntable Anti-Skate Weight

Post by Joealso » 19 Sep 2019 13:22

Perfect. Thanks, Copperhead.