Need help identifying

snap, crackle and pop
PotbellyRonin
United States of America

Need help identifying

Post by PotbellyRonin » 17 Sep 2019 05:47

I recently obtained a soundesign PLL am-FM stereo receiver/recorder there is a pin on the turntable that I dont recognize. Any information you could give me would be much appreciated.
Attachments
20190916_234337.jpg
(121.67 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
20190916_234351.jpg
(89.25 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Need help identifying

Post by circularvibes » 17 Sep 2019 07:50

That is the spindle. It allows you to stack records for automatic play.

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 17 Sep 2019 11:11

It's called an 'umbrella spindle'. Great fun to watch (if it works!). I have a Philips TT with similar I use for 78s - the tines retract to drop a record and pop out again before the next one drops - might need a bit of easing oil.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 20 Sep 2019 03:55

Welcome to the forum potbelly.

This spindle allows you to play several records in succession without manual intervention. They were really designed for playing 7" singles. Place two or three records on the top part of the spindle, and press play. The first (lowest) record will drop to the platter and will be played. When it's finished, the arm will move out of the way, and the next record will drop onto the platter on top of the first record, and play. This sequence will continue until no more records are left to drop.

Most "auto changer" turntables will have an additional arm to hold the stacked records in place during this process. The absence of this arm makes me wonder if your turntable is an "auto changer", even though you have the spindle. If it's not an auto changer (ie, the records don't drop and play as described above), you could still use the spindle to play single records on this turntable.

Most auto-chager turntables also came with a normal sized spindle if the user preferred to manually change the records rather than use the auto-changer.

BTW, it's good to include more information in your topic title. Eg, "Identifying part for soundesign receiver turntable". It will help attract appropriate people to read/reply to the topic. It will also help those searching the forum in the future with a similar problem locate this topic.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 20 Sep 2019 04:00

When you have an umbrella spindle it negates the need for the balance arm. Automatic play was never intended for one type of record specifically. Dual changers are a prime example of a machine with umbrella spindle and no balance arm.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 20 Sep 2019 07:13

circularvibes wrote:
20 Sep 2019 04:00
When you have an umbrella spindle it negates the need for the balance arm. Automatic play was never intended for one type of record specifically. Dual changers are a prime example of a machine with umbrella spindle and no balance arm.
Thanks for clarifying, it's hard to see the detail of the spindle in the pic. I was basing my comments on the BSR changer I had decades ago (not an umbrella type), I wasn't aware that there were variations in these spindles.

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 20 Sep 2019 11:11

AudioFeline wrote:
20 Sep 2019 03:55
Welcome to the forum potbelly.

Most "auto changer" turntables will have an additional arm to hold the stacked records in place during this process. The absence of this arm makes me wonder if your turntable is an "auto changer", even though you have the spindle. If it's not an auto changer (ie, the records don't drop and play as described above), you could still use the spindle to play single records on this turntable.
Umbrella spindle TTs do look a bit precarious (and need to be level!!). An overarm would exert downward pressure resulting in a little cascade rather than a nice single record drop!

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 20 Sep 2019 14:03

edradour wrote:
20 Sep 2019 11:11
Umbrella spindle TTs do look a bit precarious (and need to be level!!). An overarm would exert downward pressure resulting in a little cascade rather than a nice single record drop!
The BSR auto changer I had with the overarm did exert downward pressure, but the spindle was designed to only drop one record at a time. After the novelty wore off, I thought it through and thought it probably wasn't very good for the records so I changed the spindle for the normal version. And I was very happy when I was able to upgrade the turntable to one with a counterbalanced arm.