Monolith by Monoprice turntable

snap, crackle and pop
Boltman92124

Re: Monolith by Monoprice turntable

Post by Boltman92124 » 17 Sep 2019 21:08

BMRR wrote:
17 Sep 2019 20:29
U-Turn adjusts it for you. Most of their customers choose the cartridge they want when ordering the turntable and won't replace it any time soon, if ever. People who plan to do a lot of cart swapping should buy a different turntable. :)

$40 might seem steep but it's not bad when compared to Rega's which costs $59, or the Ortofon (which they no longer make but used ones sell for $130-$200 on eBay).
I think it's a way they put back profit into the sales. And use the $179 as a price leader. Still not included on the Orbit Plus ($289) either. That arm lift probably costs them a couple of bucks tops. My thought was people getting back into vinyl and spinning a bunch of LP's on a Saturday night with a few beers..Bonk! :shock:

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 17 Sep 2019 21:40

I dunno, I know a lot of people who have turntables with built-in cuing levers and they never use them and some don't even know they're there or what they're for. I use mine because I know what it's for, but I'm also OCD and I read instruction manuals; most people don't. ;)

I don't know how much it costs to build it but I do know that the cost of living in the Boston area is pretty high and they seem like the kind of company that would pay their workers more than minimum wage. They could outsource the lifter to China and sell it for $19 or even include it for free but that's not what they're about. If selling it for $40 means they can pay their workers a living wage and offer them health insurance, I'm A-OK with that. :D

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 17 Sep 2019 21:53

BMRR wrote:
17 Sep 2019 21:40
I dunno, I know a lot of people who have turntables with built-in cuing levers and they never use them and some don't even know they're there or what they're for. I use mine because I know what it's for, but I'm also OCD and I read instruction manuals; most people don't. ;)

I don't know how much it costs to build it but I do know that the cost of living in the Boston area is pretty high and they seem like the kind of company that would pay their workers more than minimum wage. They could outsource the lifter to China and sell it for $19 or even include it for free but that's not what they're about. If selling it for $40 means they can pay their workers a living wage and offer them health insurance, I'm A-OK with that. :D
Interesting article on U-Turn. 20 employees. Sold 16,000 turntables last year. That's 43 per day! Pretty impressive.
https://www.americanmanufacturing.org/b ... -tables-on

redavalanche
United States of America

Post by redavalanche » 18 Sep 2019 01:25

monolith 169.99 now

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 18 Sep 2019 15:37

bargugl wrote:
16 Sep 2019 21:53
The Monolith is another Ya Horng turntable. It is similar to the Elac Miracord 50, but it forgoes the Elac's optical speed control system. I take a different version of the Ya Horng apart and add images of teardowns of other versions from around the web to create a sort of breakdown of the various Ya Horng's here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-ch ... 500bt.html
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting indeed. It's fascinating that the Ion seems to be the best and most sophisticated of the group, despite Ion being the most low-end of the brands in this group.

bargugl
United States of America

Post by bargugl » 18 Sep 2019 17:45

No problem. I'd argue that the ones with the optical speed sensor control system are the most sophisticated, which would be the Elac and Fluance RT82-85. That is probably the priciest component upgrade option out of everything Ya Horng does. If I didn't want the USB and bluetooth for this, the Fluance is probably where I would have put my money given that you get both the optical speed control and the improved motor isolation. The one thing I don't like about the higher end Fluance version is the external belt mounting. Given the multiple users and having it in a fairly exposed location in my case, too easy for people to knock the belt off and it just becomes an extra hassle.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 18 Sep 2019 18:06

redavalanche wrote:
18 Sep 2019 01:25
monolith 169.99 now
Wow. Almost worth it just for the extra AT100e cart!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 18 Sep 2019 20:38

Has anyone done any testing to compare the speed stability of the ones with the optical sensor vs. the ones without?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 21:12

I would assume it's no where near as accurate as a quartz lock. Does it compare to a servo drive? The servos had strobe light adjusters, re the sl-d3.

bargugl
United States of America

Post by bargugl » 19 Sep 2019 15:29

I haven't found any good comparison data between the speed control version and non version. Plenty of people doing the phone app that you place the phone on the platter, but those are not particularly useful for true comparison data. Need someone that will use a test disc and analysis of the resulting playback. The Fluance owners seem to be most active group on various forums, etc. Ideally one of them could do something that compares data from one of the RT80-81 vs one of the RT82-85.

Hard to say how accurate the speed control is. I'd say at least as good as the old servo system. The optical sensor does get a good reading of the platter speed itself, reportedly 500 times per second, but then there is the question of how fast does the motor respond to that data, which then has the complication of working through the belt drive. In theory the heavier acrylic platter of the RT84 and RT85 should help prevent variation of speed once proper speed is achieved.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Sep 2019 15:58

The original rt80 and 81 series, while very good, had speed issues, which were corrected in the 82 and up models, primarily through the motor updates, rather than the heavier platter.

bargugl
United States of America

Post by bargugl » 19 Sep 2019 16:09

lenjack wrote:
19 Sep 2019 15:58
The original rt80 and 81 series, while very good, had speed issues, which were corrected in the 82 and up models, primarily through the motor updates, rather than the heavier platter.
Of course, I am just noting that in a comparison of the effectiveness of the optical speed control system, it is another variable to take into account.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 19 Sep 2019 16:10

Just to clarify, does the Monolith also have the improved (but not optical) speed control?

bargugl
United States of America

Post by bargugl » 19 Sep 2019 16:19

BMRR wrote:
19 Sep 2019 16:10
Just to clarify, does the Monolith also have the improved (but not optical) speed control?
Given it is a recent release, that would be my assumption that they instituted the necessary changes from their previous experiences with the Teac and Fluance models. I can't imagine that they wouldn't make those updates across all production. But then, I haven't actually taken the monolith apart myself. I haven't uncovered any complaints on inconsistent speed with the monolith compared to what was seen with the Teac TN300 and the first production run of the Fluance RT80 and RT81.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 19 Sep 2019 16:28

Thanks, much appreciated. A friend of mine wants a turntable but doesn't want vintage or anything with woodgrain (for aesthetic reasons mostly — the wife/girlfriend acceptance factor), so I've been trying to find him something in the under-$175 range that doesn't stink. Mrs. Friend doesn't like how the U-Turn Orbit looks, so the Monolith will be my next nomination, I think.