Lower volume on turntable

snap, crackle and pop
tripler2
United States of America

Lower volume on turntable

Post by tripler2 » 16 Sep 2019 17:24

This has probably been answered before but here we go. I have a Yamaha RX-V685, Fluance RT81 with AT 95e Cartridge, and my original 1978 Bose 601 speakers(these sound very good by the way). My receiver volume control will go from -80db to I assume +80db. On usb or FM as source the sound is at a low volume level at -50db and rattling the windows at -10db. With phono as source the same level is -20db for low and rattling windows at +10db. My stylus force is set at 2g and aligned. I have dual shielded RCA cables and ground is hooked up with no hum. I would like to know if this is about normal. I would also like to know if there is any advantage in using the built-in preamp on turntable. My vinyl is in near perfect shape account back in the day they were mainly played to allow recording to cassette. My original turntable was a Phillips 877 with a XLM MKII cartridge. The rpms on it were way out of the box so the purchase of the Fluance.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Re: Lower volume on turntable

Post by Mr Pig » 16 Sep 2019 17:29

The volume from a turntable very rarely matches the volume from a line-level source at a given position of the dial. Can you do anything about it? Not really.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Sep 2019 21:21

This is normal, and not an indication of a quality problem. Different receiver/turntable/cartridge combination will give you different, but similar results.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 17 Sep 2019 01:02

What I did was follow a simple schematic that a friend prepared for me to make an attenuator for my CD player. Rather than pondering how to increase turntable voltage, it was easier to drop the voltage from the CD.

The volume of both are closer than they were but not exact. Good enough for me though. For some me reason, I believe the nature of a CD player precludes it from behaving like a phono cartridge in that respect. Probably it’s dynamic range potential.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 17 Sep 2019 01:22

That is a good solution, but did you know you could make an adjustable attenuator, so as to get an exact level match?

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 17 Sep 2019 06:36

tripler2 wrote:
16 Sep 2019 17:24
This has probably been answered before but here we go. I have a Yamaha RX-V685, Fluance RT81 with AT 95e Cartridge, and my original 1978 Bose 601 speakers(these sound very good by the way). My receiver volume control will go from -80db to I assume +80db. On usb or FM as source the sound is at a low volume level at -50db and rattling the windows at -10db. With phono as source the same level is -20db for low and rattling windows at +10db. My stylus force is set at 2g and aligned. I have dual shielded RCA cables and ground is hooked up with no hum. I would like to know if this is about normal. I would also like to know if there is any advantage in using the built-in preamp on turntable. My vinyl is in near perfect shape account back in the day they were mainly played to allow recording to cassette. My original turntable was a Phillips 877 with a XLM MKII cartridge. The rpms on it were way out of the box so the purchase of the Fluance.
If you're using Yamaha internal phono pre-amp it might not have enough gain. It's propably under 40 dB, maybe as low as 36 dB. You can boost the volume level by getting an external phono pre-amp with gain of 40 dB or higher. You can also boost the volume of each input from the amp menu, most likely +-6dB.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 17 Sep 2019 07:02

The only real solution is to have input adjustments on each input. Then you can match them, usually leaving the pots for the turntable all the way up and matching the other ones. Very little equipment has these adjustments. Heathkits always did.

Doug

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 17 Sep 2019 08:10

A part of the problem you hear (if indeed it is a problem) is that the different formats have different compression profiles which affect your perception of how loud a piece of music is. A CD typically has been mastered to have less dynamic range and to sound "louder" than the same piece of music on vinyl. Its possible that the maximum output from both is identical relative to a silent passage, but the CD is mastered to be loud everywhere, while the vinyl is mastered to have more range between the loudest and the quietest passages.

on your amp's volume markings btw, the quiet end will be marked -80db, the loud end will be zero db. It was so much easier when they were all marked from "0" to "10" (except for guitar amps that all go to "11")

You could get all AR and OCD about it and make any number of different modifications and additions to equalise the apparent mismatch in output from the different sources however the differences will themselves be different depending on the recordings you compare! I can think of at least three different ways of getting close to equalising them with differing levels of complexity and cost. You can even buy devices that do it automatically for you - in effect altering the input signal by listening to the output.

But, really? To what end? Does it really matter?