Technics SL-Q202 Counterweight

snap, crackle and pop
pierres4
Great Britain

Technics SL-Q202 Counterweight

Post by pierres4 » 12 Sep 2019 10:40

I have a Technics SL-Q202 TT and have recently fitted a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge and Nagaoka headshell. This combination is marginally heavier than the Ortofon cart and headshell I was previously using and means I have the counterweight further back on the tonearm which nudges the dustcover hinge when it's playing vinyl (it's a custom dustcover with a more heavy duty hinge).

I'd like to add a bit more weight to the existing counterweight without sticking or blu tacking washers to it so I can have it further forward on the tonearm allowing me to retain the dust cover when it's playing vinyl . I read that the counterweight on the SL1200's are a bit heavier and wondered if this would be an option for me? I'm assuming regardless of whichever version of the 1200 I try and source a counterweight from it would still fit the tonearm on my Q202?

Alternatively, is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

chiz
Great Britain

Re: Technics SL-Q202 Counterweight

Post by chiz » 12 Sep 2019 11:56

Another possible option is using a lighter headshell.
Or the screw in Technics auxiliary weight unless that would also foul the hinge?

pierres4
Great Britain

Re: Technics SL-Q202 Counterweight

Post by pierres4 » 12 Sep 2019 12:31

Thanks Chiz, unfortunately the auxiliary counterweight would foul the hinge too. The lighter headshell may be an option if I can't go the heavier counterweight route.