A good upgrade from a Denon DP300F?

snap, crackle and pop
wolfganggold

A good upgrade from a Denon DP300F?

Post by wolfganggold » 11 Sep 2019 15:51

Hello folks!

I currently have a Denon DP300F turntable fitted with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. I'm fairly happy with it but sorta feel like spending a bit of money to upgrade. :D I've been looking at the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. I know that would be a good upgrade if I stick with my current 'table but what if I wanted to upgrade that too?

The ones I've been shopping are the U-Turn Audio Orbit Custom with pretty much all the bells and whistles (acrylic platter, the aforementioned Ortofon 2M Blue cart, built in pre-amp, cueing lever), The Rega Planar 1 Plus, The Rega Planar 2 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

Of those, which do you think would be incremental upgrades and which would be a more "OMG, this is night and day!" type situation?

I've heard so many good things about the 2M Blue cartridge, I'd be inclined to slap that puppy on any of those turntables listed, assuming that doing so wouldn't actually be a downgrade.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: A good upgrade from a Denon DP300F?

Post by Issuesman666 » 11 Sep 2019 23:18

Why not try the 2m blue stylus into the 2m red body on the Denon first?

Those turntables you listed will be sidegrades….Except just maybe the Planar 2.

To get a huge jump you need to spend at least a grand for a new turntable.

What is your budget?

chgc

Post by chgc » 12 Sep 2019 02:24

All your new turntable candidates are going for that “audiophile” look. Whether they provide audiophile sound, I don’t know.

My experience with the Denon was fairly positive. The music sounded good, although the operation of the automatic functions produced audible clunking noises. Which leads me to my one bit of advice, which is to stick with the Denon if you don’t want to deal with a manual turntable.

wolfganggold

Post by wolfganggold » 12 Sep 2019 03:33

Good confirmation of what I was thinking here. To really get a good upgrade, I'm going to need to spend about a grand. I'm not completely against that...early Christmas? :D I also thought about getting the 2M Blue stylus as a very good upgrade for my current 'table.

I've been pretty happy with the sound of my Denon after about 18 months of ownership. Most of that was spent with the 2M Red cartridge installed. I just have that new equipment itch, ya know? :D

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 12 Sep 2019 04:40

wolfganggold wrote:
12 Sep 2019 03:33
Good confirmation of what I was thinking here. To really get a good upgrade, I'm going to need to spend about a grand. I'm not completely against that...early Christmas? :D I also thought about getting the 2M Blue stylus as a very good upgrade for my current 'table.

I've been pretty happy with the sound of my Denon after about 18 months of ownership. Most of that was spent with the 2M Red cartridge installed. I just have that new equipment itch, ya know? :D
The blue is a worthy upgrade. I've done it.Less than 200 bucks and a simple stylus swap.

wolfganggold

Post by wolfganggold » 12 Sep 2019 19:02

The blue is a worthy upgrade. I've done it.Less than 200 bucks and a simple stylus swap.
Yes, 178 bucks on Amazon. Actually there's a different version, the 100th Anniversary Edition that's 189. Wonder what the difference is...