Onkyo CP-1057F Turntable, is it a good TT?

snap, crackle and pop
Joeystarr55
American Samoa

Onkyo CP-1057F Turntable, is it a good TT?

Post by Joeystarr55 » 25 Aug 2019 17:39

I saw a Onkyo CP-1057F turntable at a antique store for $100. I was checking if they have many problems & are they easy to work-on and get parts?
Attachments
IMG_1032.JPG
(131.48 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

nat
long player
long player

Re: Onkyo CP-1057F Turntable, is it a good TT?

Post by nat » 27 Aug 2019 02:20

Appears from comments on the web to be a decent table, one of their better ones at the time with a substantial platter and a suspension. But condition is everything with old tables. Check to see that it works, and that the auto functions work - apparently there is a plastic gear in the return mechanism that breaks. It can be fixed, but that is work, and requires some knowledge and competence. What cartridge is on it and the condition of the stylus and suspension would be factors also.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 27 Aug 2019 03:24

I would try to get them down a bit unless they can demonstrate flawless functionality...and even then, it would depend on the cartridge/stylus as nat mentioned.

I've worked on a couple of CP-1027 (very similar), and the tonearm gear's condition is critical. There is a guy on eBay that makes and sells 3D printed replacement gears; they are cheap and work just fine.

There will likely still be some cleaning and re-lubing needed in order to get it in tip-top shape, but that's just labor and time. If they aren't willing to demo/audition it, tell them it is a bit of a risk for you, blah, blah, and offer $50 bucks. Antique malls like that are usually open to negotiation.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 27 Aug 2019 05:18

Going only by your pic, the TT looks to be OK quality, but probably not considered high-end.

I would assume the stylus is worn, that could be a bargaining tool to bring the price down. Depending on the cartridge a replacement styli could be cheap. Get the model number of the styli or cart, then google replacement styli. If it's relatively expensive you may do better to replace the cartridge and styli (eg. with an AT3600l), replacement carts require correct setting up as well (lots of info on the web how to do this).

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 27 Aug 2019 13:57

I have a CP-1055F and it is a very good turntable. Even though it has a cheap appearance at first glance, it's quite solid and the platter is impressively heavy. These turntables are deceiving because their outward appearance is similar to many of the lesser-quality turntables of the same time period... but once you pick it up and feel how heavy and solid it is, you realize you're dealing with a totally different animal. The performance specs are as good as turntables costing much, much more. The CP-1057F is slightly superior to the CP-1055F, so I would not hesitate to pay $100 for one if it works and is fully functional. I paid more than that for my 1055F and I don't regret it at all.

It's worth noting that the 1055 and 1057 were part of Onkyo's Integra family of audio components. Everything in the Integra line was higher quality and higher performing than their other products.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 27 Aug 2019 16:04

It is after 1983 design with that straight tonearm, which is not the best for cartridge choices. Also a lot of plastic, but for 100$ good choice and worth it. Internally decent made, service friendly, made by one of Japanese big OEM`s for Onkyo brand.