Problem with Technics SL-1650 Anti-Skating

snap, crackle and pop
Stereo Store

Problem with Technics SL-1650 Anti-Skating

Post by Stereo Store » 25 Aug 2019 05:20

I have cleaned the turntable and lubed it, including the parts with the frequent freeze-up associated with tonearm startup and added lithium grease to gear wheel governing cycling (thanks very much vinyl engine). The current problem is that the anti-skating dial has no effect on anti-skating. In fact, I placed the dial on zero to minimize the tendency of the stylus to not move with the groove (in gets stuck in early groove and will not proceed). Then, it gets stuck (even at zero) towards end of record. Neither owners manual or service manual address this issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Problem with Technics SL-1650 Anti-Skating

Post by circularvibes » 25 Aug 2019 05:31

First, did you check to see if your arm wires are binding underneath? I have had that happen before.

chgc

Post by chgc » 25 Aug 2019 15:10

Is the arm clearing the arm lift when playing?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Aug 2019 18:00

With antiskate at zero, balance the arm so it floats free and position it so it hovers somewhere over the platter. It should remain in that position without moving. Now dial in the antiskate. The arm should return to the rest. If it doesn't, there is either too much arm friction, or the antiskate spring is missing, or too weak and worn out. If it's the spring, it can be corrected, with a fair amount of effort.