Still Having Problems With My JVC JL-F30, But I Have Some Updates

snap, crackle and pop
digthispig222
United States of America

Still Having Problems With My JVC JL-F30, But I Have Some Updates

Post by digthispig222 » 25 Aug 2019 01:55

So awhile ago, I made a forum post about how I found a JVC JL-F30. I mentioned that the tonearm lifting assembly is completely broken, but since then some new problems have come up. Currently, when I set it to start, it will only start sometimes but not all the time. When it does start, it will only play the record for a couple of seconds and then auto return. Can anyone still help me with any of these problems? Thanks in advance.

jackie

Re: Still Having Problems With My JVC JL-F30, But I Have Some Updates

Post by jackie » 26 Aug 2019 16:34

Have you Deoxit all the mechanical switches inside? Worth a try.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 26 Aug 2019 16:36

Hi digthispig222, I have worked on a lot of JVC turntables but unfortunately not this model. And doing a Google search only showed the top side of the turntable. What I and others on here need to see are a couple of clear pictures of the mechanism and the broken lift parts. Then maybe we can help you get this turntable working again. As far as parts for this turntable check out organdonorparts.com to see if they have anything for this turntable.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 26 Aug 2019 17:30

Ok I grabbed some pictures, but I have something to note about the first picture: I lost the rod thing that goes from the arm lifting plastic part to what would be the arm lifter lever, so I'm using a zip tie temporarily until I find it.
Attachments
20190826_122359.jpg
(184.93 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
20190826_122325.jpg
(132.37 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
20190826_114256.jpg
(152.84 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 26 Aug 2019 19:15

Hi, I don't see anything broken with the cue mechanism, were there loose parts inside the turntable or is it just not working ? If it is stuck then you will need to disassemble it, clean off all old damping fluid and grease. Then put new 300,000 wt damping fluid back on the cue piston so the tonearm drops nice and slow onto a record. Be very careful with the tonearm wires do not pull them to tight they are very thin and will break. Before you lift the mechanism out for servicing, un-solder the tonearm wires from the circuit board they are on. The issue with the repeat action of the tonearm sounds like there is old dried up grease in the mechanism. Once you un-solder the tonearm wires then lift the entire mechanism out and put it on a bench for servicing. As you disassemble it clean everything with alcohol and rags and keep all the parts together. Use new grease on the parts as you assemble it something like Super Lube brand grease works well with these mechanisms and it's available at various hardware stores. And 300,000 wt damping fluid is available online. Servicing the mechanism should end the issue with the tonearm and cleaning and putting new damping fluid on the cue piston will help that area.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 26 Aug 2019 23:17

Regarding the tonearm, damping isn't the problem here. To answer your question though, there were just broken loose parts inside the unit. What I'm most concerned about right now is this: the fact it only starts sometimes, and when it does start, it returns almost immediately.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 27 Aug 2019 23:37

I have a theory as to why the mechanism only works sometimes. The part pictured below keeps popping off, even with the screw in place. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make this stop happening?
Attachments
20190827_183722.jpg
(29.51 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

chgc

Post by chgc » 28 Aug 2019 02:52

Sounds like a good theory. I suspect it might require some advanced repair skills to stop it from happening. Sorry not to be more helpful, but I have a one word suggestion (just one word)— adhesives.

chgc

Post by chgc » 28 Aug 2019 14:19

Or, if you can figure out why the part keeps falling off (cracked/broken plastic? stripped threads?) you might be able to find a replacement part, as musicmn suggested above.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 28 Aug 2019 23:25

Alright, so I fixed the problem I had with the thing coming off, now to focus on the bigger problem: the fact it auto returns way too early. I have a theory for this as well: I think I broke off what is supposed to be the adjustment screw. Because I did this, it probably doesn't know what to do with itself. I tried putting it back together, but to no avail. What should I do now?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 29 Aug 2019 21:16

The screw that you broke is it attached to the white plastic lever that runs over the main cam gear in your middle picture ? The picture that shows the tonearm without the platter on. That large screw in that white lever is the adjustment screw for the lead out. If you haven't look at the owners manual or service do so they both have a lot info on how this turntable works and should be adjusted. If you have indeed broken that lever or any other part you have a couple of choices. One, find the part (s) you need either from ebay, organdonorparts.com or other sources and replace your broken part(s). Two, use the turntable manually until you find the part by removing the main cam gear. That should disable any automatic functions of the mechanism. Three set the turntable aside until you find the correct part(s).