How to remove dust bug from turntable?

snap, crackle and pop
62vauxhall

Re: How to remove dust bug from turntable?

Post by 62vauxhall » 25 Aug 2019 02:28

Dust Bugs work well, I've go three and I visited someone this afternoon who has one on his Thorens TD165.

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 25 Aug 2019 09:20

Quick question. Once I remove the dust bug from the turntable what would be a proper spot to reattach it at and where should I attach it with?

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 25 Aug 2019 13:19

DJtheAudiophile wrote:
25 Aug 2019 09:20
Quick question. Once I remove the dust bug from the turntable what would be a proper spot to reattach it at and where should I attach it with?
Have you not attacked the thing yet, I would have been bothering it as soon as I saw it.
When you remove it place it on the left side. Plenty of photographs online showing it in action.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 25 Aug 2019 19:19

DJtheAudiophile wrote:
25 Aug 2019 09:20

Position it as shown in the pic that I posted .

Positioning the base closer to the spindle will make it track faster while increasing the distance will make it track slower.
Keep in mind that it wall not track all LPs equal.

On some LPs, it will tend to tack the LP faster than the stylus and with other Lps, it may track too slow .
What you want is a good average tracking ahead of the stylus.
At bit of experimenting is needed to get the best position. :)

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 26 Aug 2019 01:02

...thats why the suction cup base was nice (on the older ones)...

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 26 Aug 2019 01:29

Thanks everyone for responding! I plan on tackling the dust bug tomorrow, and I will look at the photos in this thread for proper placement of dust bug.

I’m on my way to pick up the nail polish remover. There’s two I can choose from, which one would be better for the job?

https://www.sallybeauty.com/nails/nail- ... SEC12.html

https://www.sallybeauty.com/nails/nail- ... SEC13.html

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 26 Aug 2019 09:35

So I’ve been reading up on acetone and how it will remove the glue from the dust bug. It seems that acetone can also remove the adhesive-ness from the vinyl veneer of my table. I’m not sure what I should use now. I don’t want to damage the vinyl veneer on the QL-7.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 26 Aug 2019 10:11

I would try heat(hairdryer)+cooling(ice) and do several cycles. By expanding and contracting you may be able to crackle the adhesive to the point. Then petroleum(white-spirit) that has tendency to seep into small cracks. It is used successfully to loosen rusty bolts/nuts. I am rather certain that any kind of acetone product will leave permanent marks on the finish so I wouldn't count this in at all. I have had problems with solving the paint somewhat using alcohol too. Also it may be impossible to remove it without damage to the surface if you have vinyl finish - it is flexible enough to prevent cracking the glue.
If I would not be able to remove it I would just leave it there. It is not too much of an eyesore. Damaged finish is.
For me DustBug is a novelty item and just another thing to fiddle with instead of listening music. Just be prepared to live with it to avoid hasty decisions.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 26 Aug 2019 11:35

I have removed some of these dustbug bases by cutting them off the plinth with a sharp exacto knife. Cut as close to the bottom of the dustbug base as possible, so the plinth doesn't get damaged. The remaining ring / circle of glue I then try to remove by gently trying to peel it away with my fingernail, or rubbing with the tip of my finger. Sometimes the glue still has a bit of elasticity and can be forced to move by rubbing.

If there's still spots of glue left I try a milder solvent first: white spirit or lighter fluid. Sometimes soaking a make-up remover pad or a ball of cotton in lighter fluid, and leaving it on the glue spot for a couple of hours helps.

You can try rubbing alcohol too. Nail polish remover / acetone I would only try as a last resort. Hey, it removes nail polish, so it's quite aggressive stuff... be careful with it.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 26 Aug 2019 12:30

DJtheAudiophile wrote:
26 Aug 2019 09:35
So I’ve been reading up on acetone and how it will remove the glue from the dust bug. It seems that acetone can also remove the adhesive-ness from the vinyl veneer of my table. I’m not sure what I should use now. I don’t want to damage the vinyl veneer on the QL-7.
This is why I keep suggesting to use alcohol instead of acetone, you probably missed that in my replies.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 26 Aug 2019 14:23

Use the dental floss method that has bee long used to remove such things as car logos. emblems, etc.
Check You Tube on this.

The idea is to slip the floss under one corner and this where some sort safe solvent such as acetone comes into play.
As suggested, just us an acetone nail polish remover where water is the main ingredient....and use it sparingly.
Whatever solvent you use, first test in an area of the plinth where it wont be noticed, to be sure that it will not also remover any finish on it.

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 26 Aug 2019 20:11

I will chime in again...I had a (Watts) DustBug on my Hitachi HT-41S for years...at one point, and I mean like maybe 15 years?...the suction cup released and I was left with a "ring," embedded into the base. Now, the base ("plinth") was some kind of polycarbonate, and I am guessing the "rubber" of the suction cup reacted with the plastic resin of the base. Ultimately, the poor girl went to the knackers, as sunlight had ruined the tonearm-side mount for the headshell :( :( :(

I must agree with our Suomalainen friend above =D> and just leave the old base there...either find another or just abandon the thought...

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 27 Aug 2019 07:04

Ok I will try the dental floss, thanks everyone for chiming in

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 27 Aug 2019 22:08

When mounting a dusting arm, bear in mind that mounting distance and arm length combine to overhang or underhang, which directly affects the tracking speed.
I find that a bit of underhang allows the brush to track at about the same speed as the stylus.

Cheers,
Alec

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 28 Aug 2019 23:51

Yeah, don't use an aggressive solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner. You are bound to have damage to the surface of the base. 91% alcohol may work if applied several times. Depending on the materials involved, however, that may even be risky. Nothing is guaranteed to be 100% safe.

Doug