How to remove dust bug from turntable?

snap, crackle and pop
DJtheAudiophile

How to remove dust bug from turntable?

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 10:16

Hello, I recently purchased a JVC QL-7 that has a dust bug next to the tone arm. It seems that glue was used to attach it to the turntable. Is there anyway I can remove it?

https://ibb.co/S5SmQXj

edradour
Scotland

Re: How to remove dust bug from turntable?

Post by edradour » 24 Aug 2019 12:36

Bound to mark the deck - I think you might be 'stuck' with it (sorry!!). What an odd position for a dust bug?

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 24 Aug 2019 13:22

Yes, odd position. Trying to visualize the thing working at the same time as the tonearm.

I've removed a few with mixed results. The original adhesive ring can come off with heat from a hairdryer and some alcohol, once softened with heat the alcohol manages to remove most of the glue. On some decks it will still peel the paint off, most Lencos I have tried this on will lose a patch of paint, some decks have better more durable finishes.

That round mark left behind has marred many a deck.

Unfortunately, once the adhesive ring loosened up a lot of people used stronger glue, usually Araldite. You will have to warm it up and see how it responds.

That was a nice Audio Technica dust bug, I assume you don't have the rest of it.

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 14:19

Thanks for the replies. yes I still have the rest of the dust bug, I unscrewed it. https://ibb.co/3pdZzyG

Would heat from a dryer damage the base of the turntable? Would acetone be a good solution to remove the glue?

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 24 Aug 2019 14:26

Hello,
Use dental floss to cut in the glue. Then try some soft solvents to remove the glue (start with petrol for lighters or lamps, then if not successful, increase gradually power going from nail color lacquer solvent (see your better half) and last resort, pure acetone but a risk of ruining the paint.)

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 15:10

Thanks for responding. What brand of nail color lacquer solvent would you recommend? Also would acetone that is diluted be a safer option than pure acetone?

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 24 Aug 2019 16:41

Most acetone nail polish remover just contains a small amount of acetone. The primary ingredient is water.
This small amount of acetone is even enough to dissolve things like superglue.

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 22:29

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll get the items today and start removing the dust bug tomorrow.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 24 Aug 2019 22:46

I am curious if this Dust Bug has any value? I would like to try something like that on my bedroom table.

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 22:54

Yeah the dust bug was preserved well, it’s in pretty good shape but I don’t think it was supposed to be glued to the same side as the tone arm. If it was on the opposite side I wouldn’t mind it being on the turntable and would have left it alone.

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 24 Aug 2019 23:11

Quick question, not quite sure if my JVC QL-7 is vinyl veneer or not but would acetone eat away at it?

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 24 Aug 2019 23:23

DJtheAudiophile wrote:
24 Aug 2019 23:11
Quick question, not quite sure if my JVC QL-7 is vinyl veneer or not but would acetone eat away at it?
It probably wouldn't, but that's why I use heat and alcohol. Less harsh than acetone and usually the hairdryer works quite well.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 25 Aug 2019 00:38

circularvibes wrote:
24 Aug 2019 22:46
I am curious if this Dust Bug has any value? I would like to try something like that on my bedroom table.

Yeah, they are definitely worth wile . I had the original dust bug in the '7os and no have something similar .

IMO, most every pop and click on an otherwise pristine LP are cased by micro dust and these dust bug type things remove most of it ahead of the stylus while playing. Micro dust is everywhere and is unavoidable.
00xtzxxx_fsxxx.jpg
(56.42 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 25 Aug 2019 01:16

Thanks JDJX. I will keep my eyes open for one. I had a cheap 80's version from Philips but it was a pain, There was a pad, not a roller and it was hard to keep clean. Probably why they were a buck at a surplus shop. Random noises after I just wet cleaned an LP are a real PITA for sure.

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 25 Aug 2019 02:04

I still have one that I got as a Christmas present in maybe 1970...clear arm...suction cup base is now stiff and doesn't bind, but have no problem gluing her on if she has a value in cleaning records better than the little Pickering stylus brush or a "carbon fibre" brush...

Also still have my old "Preener," though most of the clear plastic parts are in pretty poor shape... =(