Low Volume

snap, crackle and pop
k2hn+]
United States of America

Low Volume

Post by k2hn+] » 24 Aug 2019 00:57

I just changed cartridge, headshell and needle on my Yamaha P-450. I purchased one of those plugNspin combos which was compatible. It is made by Audio Technicia with an ATN95E needle. All looks well, wiring matches with Yamaha manual, tone arm socket etc. I checked the wiring for continuity all okay. All color codes line up as they should. Turntable works as it should. BUT - very low volume at the speakers. Calling the seller he mentioned using the phono input on the amp. My amp is part of a surround sound system, has no phono input just "external audio component inputs" which have worked fine in the past regardless of which component I used. I have used these inputs for another turntable and CD player also without any issues. If for some reason I need a preamp I'd be surprised. I received a prepaid shipping label from the seller and sent it back to be checked. Is it possible a component in the new unit could be defective causing low output? Thank you.

chgc

Re: Low Volume

Post by chgc » 24 Aug 2019 01:16

I strongly suspect the other turntable that worked with the inputs on your system had a built in phono preamp, unlike the Yamaha. What was the previous turntable? Perhaps a recent model?

k2hn+]
United States of America

Post by k2hn+] » 24 Aug 2019 01:43

Thanks, previous table is a RCA LAB-1200 from Radio Shack. Very basic.

chgc

Post by chgc » 24 Aug 2019 01:57

I don't know anything about the Lab-1200, but I just did a quick search and it looks like it does have a preamp. I think you need a pre for the Yamaha.

k2hn+]
United States of America

Post by k2hn+] » 24 Aug 2019 04:46

Yes, beginning to look that way. Thanks for checking out the rca. I guess the only question would be whether the inputs on the amp are equivalent to phono inputs. I may just let the seller check out the new cartridge to be positively sure before I buy a preamp. I am not familiar with turntable preamps. I'm assuming they have a way of varying the amount of amplification. I wouldn't think much amplification would be needed hence not a real lot of circuitry or money. Any suggested amps would be appreciated.

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 24 Aug 2019 05:30

Look at ebay - pick up an inexpensive Realistic brand # 42-2101a or 42-2109. They usually sell for about $25-$30 shipped - sometimes less.

I think they’re the least expensive phono preamp that sounds OK.

k2hn+]
United States of America

Post by k2hn+] » 24 Aug 2019 17:19

Thanks Will check them out.

chgc

Post by chgc » 24 Aug 2019 18:28

Some sort of phono preamp is pretty much required for playing records. Not only does it amplify the signal, but also performs an equalization function specific to phonograph records (see RIAA equalization).

The Art DJ Pre II seems to be the standard recommendation for a decent, inexpensive preamp. I find it quite acceptable. Cheaper and much more expensive ones are available, but I don’t have much knowledge of them. Most of my experience is with receivers with phono inputs.

felixbo
Germany

Post by felixbo » 24 Aug 2019 19:07

Hi,
imho some reasonably priced (up to ~60.- ) phono-pres are suitable for an AT95E.
- Art DJ Pre II
- Dynavox TC 750
- Behringer PP 400
- Dynavox TC 2000 (even MC cartridges capable!! )
Its up to you...

Cheers Felix

k2hn+]
United States of America

Post by k2hn+] » 25 Aug 2019 00:17

Thanks for all the info on preamps. Are there any that are not made in China?? The reputation of some of the electronics made in China is not great, especially amateur radio equipment. I've been steering clear of it.

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 25 Aug 2019 01:26

Do you use a mobile phone? Are you happy with it? I'd say about 99.9% chance it's made in China. Usually the difference between American brands and other brands is that you pay a big price premium for a label on something that is made in China anyways (Shiit being an exception).

Most receivers I have ever seen, heard, had or read about are crap soundwise (except for pricey vintage, >2k$). Surround receivers never have a phono RIAA input. Any proper turntable rarely has a built in phono-amp. Exceptions are rare, especially in 70-ies to 10-s proper turntables (pick-up usually means low quality with built in phono-amp).

I am trying out some cheap Chinese phono-amps from Ebay and in general they look good, well made and good sounding to spectacular with some minor mods. I just bought a Ha-01a and bypassed the output caps and for $40 it sounds absolutely spectacular. Quiet, dynamic, ballsy, spacious and well balanced. It's just a simple double fet op-amp with sensible fixed input capacity and resistance with proper power supply. It's actually a Lehman black box clone at 10% of the price.

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 25 Aug 2019 01:47

k2hn+] wrote:
25 Aug 2019 00:17
Thanks for all the info on preamps. Are there any that are not made in China?? The reputation of some of the electronics made in China is not great, especially amateur radio equipment. I've been steering clear of it.
Made in China is not necessarily a bad thing - Chinese, like any other people, produce everything from cheap crap to - beyond excellent - but, of course, you’ll pay for the good stuff.
The Realistics I recommended above were made in either Japan or Korea, depending on the # (42-2101a was from Japan). They were entry level and inexpensive when new from late 1970’s to early ‘80s - the heyday of vinyl record playback.

If you’re wanting a USA made phono pre that sounds good - look at the Schiit Mani. I’ll tell you now though - I think the (Japanese) Realistic 42-2101a sounds a bit better than the Mani - and it’s 1/4 the price.
For under $30 shipped, I think the Realistic is worth a try. You can always dump it back on ebay if you’re not happy; right?

Try it - you’ll like it.. ^_^

k2hn+]
United States of America

Post by k2hn+] » 25 Aug 2019 02:36

Yes, I see them on Ebay and watching the Realistics. "difference between American brands and other brands is that you pay a big price premium for a label on something that is made in China anyways" - Not totally true if you know what your doing. You may pay more since wages etc. are higher here (thank goodness) but from what I've found if they say made in USA it normally is or it may be made in USA using imported parts. Before one buys he should be aware of these things. I can say that most high end ham radio gear such as transceivers are not made in China but from Japan etc.. Ten Tec was the last American producer of amateur radio gear. If things continue as they are I'm sure China will manage to acquire the technology somehow and jump on the bandwagon. Sorry to get off the topic and hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes

chgc

Post by chgc » 25 Aug 2019 02:51

One other pre I tried recently was a Pyle PP444. $14 and made in China, so probably not your cup of tea, but not bad for the money. I listened to a few records with it on some tiny powered speakers and it sounded ok to me. (I got it to include with a turntable I was giving away.)

I have seen plenty of cheap junk from China, but I also remember when “Made in Japan” was considered a sign of low quality.

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 25 Aug 2019 03:58

Do some research then make your choice. The good stuff can come from anywhere. Remember though; just because it costs plenty more - it may not always sound better.

Oh - another to look at is the U-Turn Pluto. Supposedly “assembled” in USA and retails for $89. I’ve read that some folks like ‘em but I haven’t heard ‘em.