yamaha YP-D6 motor lubrication?

snap, crackle and pop
Baddog12
United States of America

yamaha YP-D6 motor lubrication?

Post by Baddog12 » 22 Aug 2019 12:51

How or where do I lubricate the motor of a Direct Drive Yamaha turntable? I looked at the service manual and it makes no reference to this process.
I recently picked up this turntable that had been sitting in a storage unit for many years. Its creating some subsonic rumble through the speakers when I turn the stereo up a bit. I did the stacked coin test and could clearly hear the motor noise. Any help appreciated.

thanks

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: yamaha YP-D6 motor lubrication?

Post by musicmn » 23 Aug 2019 02:07

Hi, I don't have any pictures of this service but I have done it on all DD turntables I work on. On this model you will need to remove the bottom to access the three screws that hold the motor in place. Remove the three screws and lift the motor out, then pull it a part. Once a part clean the motor shaft with alcohol and rags. Also push the tip of the rag soaked in alcohol into the housing to clean out all old oil. I wrap the rag around the wood handle of and old artist paint brush so I don't scratch the inside of the housing. Be careful on some models there could be a small ball bearing in the bottom of the housing don't loose it. Once you have every clean drop the ball bearing back into the housing if there is one then put three drops of DD motor oil into the housing. I use the oil that Technics puts in their DD motors (It's available on ebay). Then put a smear of oil on the motor shaft and push the motor together and keep pushing down and rotating until all the air has been pushed out of the housing. The motor should not bounce like it's riding on air and it should spin freely. If you feel it bouncing keep pushing it down into the housing and rotate it as you do. The air will come out but on some motors it takes a little longer. Install the motor and make sure the spindle gear is not binding on the cam wheel on topside of the turntable. Then put the bottom on and test it hope fully this will get rid of the rumble your hearing.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 23 Aug 2019 19:40

Oil available at kabusa.com.

Baddog12
United States of America

Post by Baddog12 » 23 Aug 2019 22:16

I removed the motor from the housing. What do I do now? Do I remove the electric motor from the magnetic housing or just put in new lube and installed the plastic cap? This isn’t like anything I’ve seen before.
Attachments
02C3AF3D-A023-4F2F-BF45-3CE296AD176A.jpeg
(324.73 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
5219F72A-BFD5-431A-BF5F-54CAC69029B3.jpeg
(331.33 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
6F45376B-9CFA-4953-9592-67A3D0531FA7.jpeg
(336.3 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Baddog12
United States of America

Post by Baddog12 » 24 Aug 2019 21:52

Got it figured out. Removed the inside stator and cleaned everything up. Installed the plastic cap with the o-ring and installed the assembly back in the housing. Added a couple drops of lube to the opening where the spindle goes and lived the spindle a bit before reassembly. The spindle must just rest on the bottom plastic cap while it rotates. Is my assumption correct ?