Technics SL-1500

snap, crackle and pop
OldSkoolMC
United States of America

Technics SL-1500

Post by OldSkoolMC » 19 Aug 2019 23:47

Hi all,

I picked up a very clean SL-1500 and I am having some issues getting it dialed in. It came with a Empire 2500/III Cart.... I've been out of the game for awhile so if I am getting distortion/bad tracking is it possible this cart is just trash? I don't have another cart to swap out but getting this thing with the correct amount of pressure and anti-skating has been impossible. I used a protractor to check alignment and all is good. The physical anti-skating appears to be working correctly but sound is complete garbage. If the needle is trashed is this a good sign of it? I ordered a new headshell and cart to see if that works.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-1500

Post by musicmn » 20 Aug 2019 00:57

Hi, you don't need a new head shell if the original is in good shape. My guess is that the stylus is bad/worn and needs to be replaced. But IMO the aftermarket styli for empire cartridges are not that great. Out of all the aftermarket styli I have bought over the last couple of years empire and Stanton are the worst. My suggestion would be to replace the empire with a nice Audio Technica cartridge or even a Sumiko pearl if they still make it. I have a Technics SL 1500 with a Sumiko pearl cartridge on it and it sounds great to my ears. The Sumiko was very easy to install, align and set up. I hope this helps.