Bang & Olufson RX Counterweight hits the dust cover PLEASE help

snap, crackle and pop
beg345
Canada

Bang & Olufson RX Counterweight hits the dust cover PLEASE help

Post by beg345 » 17 Aug 2019 02:16

Hi! I am relatively a rookie when it comes to turntables and just purchased a Bang & Olufson RX Turntable, it's in really good shape, however, the counter weight on the tone arm rubs against the dust cover when it is closed! Is there a height adjustment of some sort?

I've looked in the manuals but am still unsure what to adjust...

Thanks! Great little community you have here...

beg345
Canada

Re: Bang & Olufson RX Counterweight hits the dust cover PLEASE help

Post by beg345 » 17 Aug 2019 02:54

image.jpg
(256.05 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 17 Aug 2019 15:50

You're saying the top of the counterweight is touching the underside of the cover? It sounds like you might need to lower the base of the tonearm. This would be Stylus Rake Adjustment or Tonearm Height or something like that, if it's adjustable at all. I'm not familiar with that TT.

With the stylus sitting on a record, the arm should be parallel with the record when viewed from the side. If the arm is higher at the pivot end than at the stylus end, tonearm height is probably set too high.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 17 Aug 2019 17:33

Hi beg345,

Welcome to the forum.

My Beograms are older than yours but the counterweight concept may be similar. The hole is offset such that the center of mass is to the right of the arm-tube. This is to balance the the offset of the cartridge. I believe they are keyed to force them into the correct position. Your key may be damaged. Inspect the weight and its mounting to the arm-tube.

Phil

beg345 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 02:16
Hi! I am relatively a rookie when it comes to turntables and just purchased a Bang & Olufson RX Turntable, it's in really good shape, however, the counter weight on the tone arm rubs against the dust cover when it is closed! Is there a height adjustment of some sort?

I've looked in the manuals but am still unsure what to adjust...

Thanks! Great little community you have here...

beg345
Canada

Post by beg345 » 17 Aug 2019 20:22

The back counterweight is skewed upwards. Might be this key thing. I assume it’s keyed onto the tone arm. Kind of like a shaft to an engine? Do you know how to take the counterbalance off? I tried unscrewing it but it won’t pop off. Thanks!

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 17 Aug 2019 22:26

Hi beg345,

I’m Away from home now but if this is not solved by tomorrow I will be home and I check out the counterweight on my Beogram for possible insight.

Phil
beg345 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 20:22
The back counterweight is skewed upwards. Might be this key thing. I assume it’s keyed onto the tone arm. Kind of like a shaft to an engine? Do you know how to take the counterbalance off? I tried unscrewing it but it won’t pop off. Thanks!

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 18 Aug 2019 01:05

Have you released the travel locks? There are three(?) twist thingys under the platter than you release to allow the suspension to operate. When the suspension is locked, every thing is pulled up, and that may be why the counterweight bumps the dustcover.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 18 Aug 2019 06:23

Hi Nat,

Good catch! I did not think of that?

Phil

nat wrote:
18 Aug 2019 01:05
Have you released the travel locks? There are three(?) twist thingys under the platter than you release to allow the suspension to operate. When the suspension is locked, every thing is pulled up, and that may be why the counterweight bumps the dustcover.

chgc

Post by chgc » 18 Aug 2019 18:22

I checked the shipping locks on an RX2 and the cover still clears the tonearm (would seem like a design flaw if it didn’t). Also, I believe this turntable is only compatible with one kind of cartridge, so unlikely the VTA is adjustable. OP said “back counterweight is skewed upwards.” Sounds like the tonearm is tweaked.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 18 Aug 2019 20:07

beg345 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 20:22
If the counterweight is pointing up diagonally the bolt it screws on might be bent. On the B&O 1202 the weight unscrews then it needs to be pulled off, it won't just unscrew right off. Not sure whether your B&O's tonearm will be at all similar.

The weight will obviously be in line with the tonearm and parallel to the top plate, if it's not then the bolt is bent. Try pulling the weight off once fully unscrewed.

beg345
Canada

Post by beg345 » 18 Aug 2019 21:28

It was the suspension travel locking screws!! You were right... the last owner must have run it like this for a while... there is black rubber scraped on the dust cover when the record must have been done and went back...it sounds amazing now. It must have not been used much! Thanks for all the help!

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 18 Aug 2019 21:58

beg345 wrote:
18 Aug 2019 21:28
It was the suspension travel locking screws!! You were right... the last owner must have run it like this for a while... there is black rubber scraped on the dust cover when the record must have been done and went back...it sounds amazing now. It must have not been used much! Thanks for all the help
Result, easy fixes are the best ones. Just look after the stylus.

chgc

Post by chgc » 18 Aug 2019 23:52

I’m glad it’s working, but I’m mystified by a design that puts the tonearm in contact with the lid for transport. Maybe if the lid were meant to be removed when the turntable is shipped, I can see it. But (if I recall correctly), the lid is semi-permanently attached (at least I think it is on the RX2).

In any case, best not to play it with the suspension locked out. And even if the tonearm is bent, maybe it's better to leave it that way. Bent things have a way of breaking when you try to straighten them. But you might consider taking the counterweight off before shipping.

And enjoy the turntable. An RX2 was my only record player for many years. I still have it, and may put it back in rotation (sorry) someday. It looks and sounds beautiful.

beg345
Canada

Post by beg345 » 19 Aug 2019 04:08

Sorry. I wasn’t too clear. The weight came in contact only when the record was playing. When the arm tilted downwards. The weight went upwards touching the dust cover. (But the transport screws were locked, thus, raising the platter) Everything seems fine now.

chgc

Post by chgc » 19 Aug 2019 06:24

Rookie mistake on my part— incorrect assumption. Thanks for the clarification.