5-pin male DIN to 2 male RCA Adaptor

snap, crackle and pop
INROCK

5-pin male DIN to 2 male RCA Adaptor

Post by INROCK » 14 Aug 2019 20:38

QUESTION: Are there any risks or possibly damaging impacts using a 5-pin male DIN to 2 male RCA adapter (or converter) to connect a new/used DIN to RCA tonearm/phono cable for turntables that only are designed for RCA-to-RCA connection?

SITUATION: I own a Music Hall MMH9.3 with Eroica LX, and the unit is designed for RCA-to-RCA connection. I want to take advantage of the multitude of used and affordable DIN to RCA tonearm/phono cables, but don't want to do anything "patently" stupid.

MY CONCERN: Will the subject adaptor work on any 5-pin DIN, or is there a unique configuration or wiring peculiar to NAIM or other turntables that would not be compatible with Music Hall, VPI, Thorens, Garrard, or Audio Technica.

DEAD-WAX SIGN-OFF: Thank you for any time or effort you may expend in answering my question. While I've been a vinyl enthusiast for over a half century, I've never explored the DIN adaptor route. Warm Regards, Dan.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Re: 5-pin male DIN to 2 male RCA Adaptor

Post by Mr Pig » 14 Aug 2019 21:29

Why not just remove the DIN plugs and fit RCAs? Having used Naim and Meridian plus other kit which uses RCA I've done this many times. It's no big deal.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 14 Aug 2019 22:01

Yo INROCK:

The adapter you seek can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-DIN-5-Pin-R ... way&sr=8-7

This thing should accept your male DIN plug and adapt it to 2 RCA male plugs and properly identify the channels. You will see that the product description mentions NAIM products.

Mr Pig's suggestion is also an acceptable alternative, provided you can solder up the connections. Also, you will have to be sure that the chassis of your turntable is grounded through one of the channel shielded cables. There are a number of good RCA plugs made by manufacturers such as Neutrik and REAN which will be easy to solder and work very well.

A selection of RCA plugs is found here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Neutrik+RCA+ ... _sb_noss_2

It is up to you what you want to do, and good luck from the old comparison shopper,

Joe Z.

INROCK

Post by INROCK » 15 Aug 2019 15:44

To: Joe and Mr. Pig -- Thank you for your quick and informative responses. I will place an order for the adapter recommended by Joseph. My soldering iron, solder, and flux paste are deeply entrenched at the bottom of a stack of boxes in the garage. I also prefer not to modify the DIN connector, should I decide to swap out and sell the phono/tonearm cable in the future. Once again, my appreciation for your advice. Warm Regards -- Dan