Fluance RT85, US to UK, worth the import tax?

snap, crackle and pop
mrjaffa
Great Britain

Fluance RT85, US to UK, worth the import tax?

Post by mrjaffa » 14 Aug 2019 20:21

Very close to ordering the RT85. But I’m in the UK. With shipping its $589.

But then I could be looking at 20% tax on top.Has anyone in th UK ordered a TT from the US before? Am I likely to have to pay the tax?

Is it worth it? Can’t decide, keep going back and forth as to whether to just order it or not.

Woodbrains
England

Re: Fluance RT85, US to UK, worth the import tax?

Post by Woodbrains » 14 Aug 2019 21:32

Hello,

Yes, you will almost certainly have to pay VAT at least, possibly import duty and perhaps an administrative charge on top of that, depending on the carrier. If the Post Office has anything too do with proceedings, then all three.

I was once sent a very nice gift from a friend in Vermont, a rug he wove himself, he is a weaver. I did not purchase the rug, but was hit with a bill for £70 which I had to pay before the gift was released to me from the depot.

It is a lottery though.I did purchase something from Canada once. The item was delivered and the import charges were listed in a letter stuck to the parcel. Unfortunately I 'lost' the letter, so couldn't pay. No one ever followed up on the, ahem, 'oversight'!

Regarding the turntable: will it be available in 240V 50Hz electrical supply. The USA use 120V 60Hz, it won't work in Britain in that spec.

Mike.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 14 Aug 2019 21:37

I'd be much more likely to take that substantial pile of money and go find a top of the line used model, british or otherwise. Obviously there are some risks to used equipment (as there are with shipping turntables) but you have a good chance of getting a very good table, rather than a good one. And probably paying less.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 14 Aug 2019 21:41

Hey Mike. Thanks for the input. The electrics are fine, I checked with an electrician in the family (it supports 100-240v and 50/60hz). Could have always got a converter if it had been a problem.

It sounds like it could end up costing me an extra £100, which is such a shame.

I might pop into my local Richer Sounds and see if they will do the Pro Ject Debut Carbon Espirit with the Ortofon Blue. The Fluance does seem like great value (without import tax) with what it comes with.

Cheers!

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 14 Aug 2019 21:42

nat wrote:
14 Aug 2019 21:37
I'd be much more likely to take that substantial pile of money and go find a top of the line used model, british or otherwise. Obviously there are some risks to used equipment (as there are with shipping turntables) but you have a good chance of getting a very good table, rather than a good one. And probably paying less.
Yeah, maybe wise.

Thanks!

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 15 Aug 2019 00:25

I buy a lot abroad from everywhere imaginable but I made the resolution not to buy from the US unless I really have to. Not that the price or quality isn't good but every time I do there's extra charges, trouble, delay, misplacements, anything you can imagine and more. I never have that much trouble from Italy, Russia or even Ukraine.

And even when they call it Value Added Tax (isn't that a beautiful eufemism? No one could ever explain what the added value is for me) it's not even a lottery, from the US it's an unavoidable legalised scam. It's modern highway robbery. Totally random. Just like the story above with the carpet illustrates.
Oh, and, transport cost is the highest I ever encounter from anywhere on the globe. Like private persons are discouraged to trade, that's only allowed for big corporations with big discounts and friends in the right places. Last time I ordered 2 styli I payed about 1.5x the price and it took 5 weeks.

There are so many high quality products in the UK and Europe that are a lot more expensive in the US. So maybe (or not) the ploy works both ways.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 15 Aug 2019 13:31

Well if I hadn’t made my mind up, I think you just did for me, lol.

Project Carbon Espirit with Blue Ortofon is my target. The Rega 3 is a sexy little thing but frustrating that it’s a couple hundred more and it’s cartridge seems to be only a £100 cartridge.

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 16 Aug 2019 04:16

I like both tables. But price of the cartridge doesn't mean much. I have the AT3600 that is the same as the Rega carbon and I payed €10 for it. And it's just great. That's what I bought the 2 styli for from the US, a carbon elliptical and a VL (SMT... DLX) from LP gear. The VL is an absolute beauty. Much better than the Ortofon 2M blue. IMHO and YMMV, caveat emptor etc... The usual disclaimers.
So while the 2M blue might sound a great deal as a throw in, errr, I suspect they are overpriced compared to the best of the competition.

If you can get a TT without cart and get your own choice, that is preferable.

Have you looked at Edwards Audio? They make some very nice tables too.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 16 Aug 2019 12:51

I had come across EA and they do look very nice. But hadn’t came across any reviews on YouTube, maybe ill have a look.

I bought/borrowed the PCD yesterday from Richer Sounds, just the one off their shelf to give it a listen. I’m getting a terrible hum so am instantly put off by this, especially as it seems quite common. And, the fact that if you want to leave the dust cover off when playing, it looks a tad ugly with the metal hinges sticking up at the back (which you don’t really see on those glossy pics online).

And I have to be totally honest, maybe I’m just not enough of an expert, but I was flicking between the PCD (connected via phono to my receiver) and my Audio Technika LP3 (connected to the receiver using its own pre amp to the CD input on the receiver) and I really couldn’t tell the difference. Does that make me an uneducated audiophile? Lol.

I’m really liking the Rega Plannar 3, a real shame RS don’t stock it as I don’t want to buy online, much rather buy somewhere in person. And it’s slightly out of my budget, I may go research the difference between the Plannar 2 and the 3.

:-)

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 17 Aug 2019 01:18

Please don't look for reviews on YouTube. :-/ They are often very uninformed or opinionated. Just Google for magazine reviews. Those are (professionally) done by people with experience.

Hum is almost always an unconnected ground wire.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 17 Aug 2019 17:27

Ok bud.

I sorted the hum. Just used some speaker cable to ground it. What I do find odd, is that my LP3 is significantly louder than the Project. When each is connected via the phono input on the receiver, I would have the LP3 on around 65 but the Project needs to be about 75 which is very high. If i start to go above 80 I do start to get background noise.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 17 Aug 2019 17:42

mrjaffa wrote:
17 Aug 2019 17:27
Ok bud.

I sorted the hum. Just used some speaker cable to ground it. What I do find odd, is that my LP3 is significantly louder than the Project. When each is connected via the phono input on the receiver, I would have the LP3 on around 65 but the Project needs to be about 75 which is very high. If i start to go above 80 I do start to get background noise.
Hello,

It isnt the tables, but the cartridges they are fitted with. There is quite a lot of latitude with the output of different carts. MM carts can have outputs that vary between about 2.5 and 6.5 mV and more. I'm listening to two tables at the moment which have Cart outputs of 3.5 and 6.5 and obviously there is quite a bit of amp volume adjustment between listening to the two.

Actually, the cart has more to do with the sound than the table anyway. You mentioned a rega rp3 being too expensive. I'm sure the differences between that and a planar 2 would be minimal. The arms are very similar and i don't think the 3 comes with the tungsten counter weight as standard anymore. The counter weight was always the biggest difference between the arms fitted to these. I have a goldring version of the planar 2 but it came fitted with a Goldring 1012GR cart. It sounded absolutely marvellous. I think you should consider the planar 2 and get a similar cart which will make it sound better than a RP3 with a Rega Carbon cart or similar.

Mike.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 17 Aug 2019 17:54

Hey Mike.

Thanks for clearing that up. However the Red Ortofon says it has an output of 5.5mv compared to the AT91R on the LP3 of 3.5, so surely the Project should be louder?

Thanks for the advice on the Rega. I could be tempted by the Planar 2 with a decent cartridge, just a shame there doesn’t seem to be any stores in the North East that stock them for me to check them out.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 17 Aug 2019 18:36

mrjaffa wrote:
17 Aug 2019 17:54
Hey Mike.

Thanks for clearing that up. However the Red Ortofon says it has an output of 5.5mv compared to the AT91R on the LP3 of 3.5, so surely the Project should be louder?

Thanks for the advice on the Rega. I could be tempted by the Planar 2 with a decent cartridge, just a shame there doesn’t seem to be any stores in the North East that stock them for me to check them out.
Hello,

Well I would have thought the higher output cart should be louder too! It usually works that way, but the output is measured at 1000 Hz for standatdisation and not throughout the whole spectrum. It could be the AT cart is at its lowest here and the ortofon at its highest. Also, human hearing is a funny thing and perceived loudness varies with frequency, and not at all linearly. The AT is quite a bassy cart (I've not heard the Ortofon) which is were hearing is sensitive to loudnesd. It could be a lot of things, I wouldn't worry about it. Many records are cut hotter than others, and need volume changes between discs in a listening session. These are the vagaries of vinyl!

Incidentally, which cartridge are you enjoying the most, aside from volume. I am running an AT 3600L on one of my tables, very similar to the 91. It is nice enough, but quite a cheap and cheerful cart, probably less than a fifth of the cost of the Ortofon. I've not heard the 2m red, but it doesn't seem to have a great many fans. If you like the AT better I guarantee you will be impressed with something like Goldring 1012 on a planar 2.

Mike.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 17 Aug 2019 18:50

Woodbrains wrote:
17 Aug 2019 17:42
mrjaffa wrote:
17 Aug 2019 17:27
Ok bud.

You mentioned a rega rp3 being too expensive. I'm sure the differences between that and a planar 2 would be minimal. The arms are very similar and i don't think the 3 comes with the tungsten counter weight as standard anymore.

Mike.
Remember the P2 comes with an arm with non adjustable anti-skate

If you like the RP3, look at second hand. They are simple tables with not much to go wrong, there may be some old stock RP3 tables out there at good prices also.