Technics dl-d202 turntable problem

snap, crackle and pop
Hyper-Jumper-101
Ireland

Technics dl-d202 turntable problem

Post by Hyper-Jumper-101 » 14 Aug 2019 20:07

Hi guys. I have an issue with a Technics SL-D202 turntable I recently got. The problem is this. The tone arm comes of the armrest goes up and comes back down continually. The turntable keeps turning too even when I push the STOP button. I've balanced the arm and adjusted the anti-skate accordingly with the headshell weight and balance. It may be mechanical or maybe it's a switch. I just wanted to know if you guys had this problem on this or similar model? I've the service manual downloaded from this site which is great but before I dive in just in case it's something simple. Any ideas? Thanks.
Kev.

cre009
England

Re: Technics dl-d202 turntable problem

Post by cre009 » 16 Aug 2019 20:21

I got a cheap SL-D202 from a car boot sale and it had a problem with the platter spinning when powered up and continuing to run even after the arm came back to rest.

The symptoms were similar but not quite the same as with yours which seem to be more severe. Mine was sorted after I read about some electric switches located somewhere under the platter. I removed the platter which can be lifted and just used contact cleaner in any location that appeared to be a possibility. After putting the platter back on I had all the semi automatic functions working properly. I cant be very specific about what I did other than it fixed things. The last time I used the deck all was still good.