Tonearm auxiliary weight

snap, crackle and pop
Paulo Abreu
Portugal

Tonearm auxiliary weight

Post by Paulo Abreu » 14 Aug 2019 14:55

Hi guys, just a noob question :oops:

So I got my new turntable (SL-1210GR) and will set it later today, any help is welcome.

I am assuming I shouldn't install the auxiliary weight unless needed... doubt came to my mind, when adjusting tonearm weight, after leveling and zeroing, dialing +2 g on the scale should be different with and without the auxiliary weight fitted, correct?

Its a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge
TIA

abs1
United States of America

Re: Tonearm auxiliary weight

Post by abs1 » 14 Aug 2019 15:54

Correct. You only need the auxiliary weight if your tonearm won't balance with the cartridge you've installed - IOW the cartridge is too heavy.

Cheers,
Al

Paulo Abreu
Portugal

Post by Paulo Abreu » 14 Aug 2019 17:59

Thanks, will do it without the auxiliary weight.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 14 Aug 2019 21:42

If you balance the arm after adding or removing the auxiliary weight and then dialing in the tracking force, you will get the same tracking force, but the arm's effective mass will be different, which may affect the sound and tracking of warped records.

Paulo Abreu
Portugal

Post by Paulo Abreu » 15 Aug 2019 00:14

nat wrote:
14 Aug 2019 21:42
If you balance the arm after adding or removing the auxiliary weight and then dialing in the tracking force, you will get the same tracking force, but the arm's effective mass will be different, which may affect the sound and tracking of warped records.
This basically clears my doubt, thanks! My thinking was flawed :D

Well, its done. I dialed 1.9 grams and the TT played its very first track (not considering factory tests he he) - smooth and beautiful - Will do some listening tomorrow since its already too late but very happy with the whole setup and with sound quality.