Setting VTA at the headshell

snap, crackle and pop
georgesgiralt
France

Setting VTA at the headshell

Post by georgesgiralt » 14 Aug 2019 07:05

Hello !
Trying to set the VTA for my old Grado on the 3009 ended with the arm not parallel to the platter anymore and the pivot of the arm preventing the SL-150 dust cover to shut properly.
But the sound is fantastic, so I definitely need to set the VTA properly !
I'll revert the arm to horizontal, platter wise and will set the VTA at the head shell using a wedge between the cart and the head shell... But new questions arose :
1) The cart has to be tightly held in the head shell. So do I need a wedge covering all of the cart surface or could I put only a wedge at the front of the cart and have most of it not touching the head shell ?
2) can I use cardboard for the wedge ? Or is there a special material to use ? Hard wood ? Soft wood ?
3) Could it be detrimental for the cart to have a non uniform pressure at the top ?
Thanks a lot for your help !

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Setting VTA at the headshell

Post by goatbreath » 14 Aug 2019 08:45

I use these now,if you have something as convenient you are happy with,brilliant,,these are more to show that at the front of the headshell is OK.Not as advice to buy them..
I have used a cardboard in the past in a rectangle along the length of the cartridge..
Then gluing the strips of cardboard together to get the correct height..
Thorens used plastic spacers doing the same method as the Vinyl Nirvana ones..
There will be arguments about rigidity,but SME said themselves it was ok to use a bit of cardboard to straighten out a cartridge in the manual for the SME series IIIs arm..
So across just at the front or oblong seems to be OK as long as the cartridge is held at an even space from the underside of the headshell..
Although I have used cardboard at the back of a Shure M55e with a strangely angled headshell I have..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phono-Cartri ... SwY3RawpWY

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 14 Aug 2019 09:21

Well, these are spacers, if I'm not mistaken ?
I need wedges with an angle because the Grado has to have his face perpendicular to the record, and on my SME it is not. So I've to raise the back of the cartridge a bit in the head shell.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 14 Aug 2019 12:14

georgesgiralt wrote:
14 Aug 2019 09:21
Well, these are spacers, if I'm not mistaken ?
I need wedges with an angle because the Grado has to have his face perpendicular to the record, and on my SME it is not. So I've to raise the back of the cartridge a bit in the head shell.
Ah!! OK... I've used cardboard to do that before.. :D