Ariston RD IIS needs TLC

snap, crackle and pop
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Ariston RD IIS needs TLC

Post by Japi Roelofs » 13 Aug 2019 16:25

When visiting a friend yesterday, who is a vinyl buff with a great record collection and several turntables, I informed about the Ariston RD IIS I knew he had in storage. He told me it worked but needed some attention. Apparently the speed is off; there's a potentiometer in the power supply that stopped responding. Might be a matter of cleaning it with some contact cleaner. I haven't tested is it as of yet.

It has some other issues as well. Someone painted the plinth black, fortunately they didn't do a great job as the paint comes off just by the scraping of a fingernail. The antiskating weight of the SME arm is missing, and it doesn't have a cartridge. The power supply is obviously a DIY job, and I'm not sure what motor is in it. I'm also not sure what the function of the rusty 'flywheel' thing underneath the pulley is.

Another thing that puzzles me is the 'OOOO' marking on the plinth. Looking at pictures online, most have an Ariston Audio logo of some sort. And/or a badge on the front of the plinth.

My friend doesn't use the turntable. He also doesn't want to sell it. So I took it home, to try and make it perform a bit better and give it a bit of a make-over... I have it on 'permanent loan' now so to speak. Not that I need another turntable #-o

I plan on taking it slow, I need to figure out if I can salvage the motor and power supply, buy some kind of kit, or go DIY all the way, with parts I have left from other turntables. I'd like it to be able to play both 33 and 45 too.

Any and all reassuring words are greatly appreciated :D
Ariston RDIIS 1.jpg
(143.81 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Ariston RDIIS 2.jpg
(113.66 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Ariston RDIIS 3.jpg
(87.15000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Ariston RDIIS 4.jpg
(115.99 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Mr Pig

Re: Ariston RD IIS needs TLC

Post by Mr Pig » 13 Aug 2019 17:19

That motor and controller are not original. Best of luck fixing them, hopefully it will be something simple.

The rest of the deck is basically the same as an early Linn LP12, very similar anyway. Once sorted out it will sound very similar too. People often fit Linn springs but it doesn't help the sound, I don't know why.

I would disassemble the whole thing and try to strip the paint off the plinth. Take care though as it's a venere and not solid wood like the Linn.

cre009
England

Post by cre009 » 13 Aug 2019 21:05

As part of some research I have been maintaining a list of Ariston serial numbers when decks show up.

There was a transition from RD11 to RD11s with the RD11s kicking in at the mid 3000s. I have RD11 003149 as an RD11 and RD11 003996 as an RD11s.

The highest RD11s serial I have seen is RD11 010362.

Dunlop Westayr and Ariston Audio folded in mid 77.

In 1979 Ariston Acoustics was started up and initially they produced RD11s and RD11e decks before switching to the RD80 and RD110 decks. I am wondering if the deck you have may be one of the Ariston Acoustic versions. However the pictures in Hi-Fi Choice for the Ariston Acoustic versions do have the usual logo rather than the 0000. Could be Hi-Fi Choice used an old photo or may be some other explanation for the 0000.

Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig » 13 Aug 2019 21:09

I've never seen the '0000' logo before. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 13 Aug 2019 22:27

The serial number is RD11 007875.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 13 Aug 2019 23:06

My Aristons have an Ariston Audio Logo on the Lid.
A little raised piece of plastic..
Not all have this though,plus people may take them off..
The glue loses adhesion over time on wood too..
My Ariston Audio badge is Blu Tacked on my RD 11 Superieur..
A very different deck..One piece platter,double sprung supension..

Also on the back of the plinth there is a sticker,Ariston Audio,Prestwick, Ayrshire..
Same idea as the Sondek Sticker..

Ariston Acoustics came later,I know Ariston Acoustics is used as a name by Richer Sounds.. :)

My RD 110 SL seems to be at the correct speed with a Thorens TD160 etc Belt..

The Anti Skating weight you have missing is the 3 gram one,not the 5 gram..

The pulley looks like you don't have to use the difficult to obtain,square /diamond shaped belt..
That is surely a plus..The RD 11s models I have saw pictures off had this belt..

If you use a felt mat,the RD110 SL I have does sound very much like a Sondek..
Hint,if you do use felt,
three bits of double sided sticky tape between platter and mat helps with the felt mat sticking to the record syndrome..
Then take the outer platter off with the mat attached if you need to get at the belt;;
Although leave double sided tape thing until you have set up the suspension if you have to do this..
Inverting the outer platter can be handy during set up..
I think this trick also tightens up the timing a bit..My impression anyway..

I used mine last with a SME IIIs arm it was quite a dark sounding combo..
It was dark on the LP12 too..
The SME 3009 S2 Improved detachable,seems to be a brighter arm..
I have 2 of them,they are 9.5 grams effective mass by the way..
So it interests me how the sound will balance out..
Hopefully you have a few spare cartridges to experiment with.. :)

I find blu tacking coins on the back of the counterweight gets the mass nearer the pivot and the arm sound less foggy..
It looks like you have the 110 gram counterweight..

I think using a heaver rigid headshell and tweaking the counterweight really improves the sound of the arm..

Oh!! And feel lucky you didn't get the by now filthy nextel covered top plate like the one on the RD110 SL..
Apparently the Nextel goes into the pores of the metal itself..
It is hellish to get rid off..I tried painting over mine,it doesn't work..
The later plinth doesn't look as good as the old style one either..

The Four Zeros I have no idea about..

If you knew a lot of thsi stuff anyway,I apologise.
I meant well.. :) :)

Good Luck.. :)

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 13 Aug 2019 23:16

It is saying Richer Sounds obtained the Ariston name in 1993.. :)
Whether it was changed from Audio to Acoustics at this point I don't know.

cre009
England

Post by cre009 » 14 Aug 2019 09:07

Ariston Acoustics (trademark) was formed in !978 when John Carrick acquired the assets of Ariston International and possibly Fons Imternational. The new production started out of the Maybole location where Fergus Fons started.

Fons International took over production of the CQ30 from Fergus Fons in mid 76.

Fons International acquired the Ariston brand in late 77 with the intention of producing decks as Ariston International but no indication if Aristons were sold in 78.

In Dec78 the following short report appeared in Hi-Fi News on page 79 with the title "Ariston News". "Manufacture and UK Distribution of Ariston turntables is now under new management and the company renamed Ariston Acoustics Ltd. Marketing will be via a limited number of retail outlets at home and abroad. The rrp of the RD11s is now £185 inc VAT and the address is 1 Society Street, Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland. KA19 7BH".

In mid 1980 the production moved to the Prestwick location as per a brief news item in the July Fi-Fi News on page 39 under the heading "Address Changes". "Ariston Acoustics Ltd are moving to a larger factory; new address is Unit 176, Brieryside, Prestwick, Ayrshire KA29 2RB".

Julian Richer acquired Ariston Acoustics in the 1990's.

Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig » 14 Aug 2019 10:16

goatbreath wrote:
13 Aug 2019 23:06
I used mine last with a SME IIIs arm it was quite a dark sounding combo..
Yeah, I've not heard that combo but I'd expect it to be overly warm and soft sounding. I'd pair it with a bright cartridge like an Audio Technica. I was always puzzled by the use of SME arms on early LP12s. Never thought it was a good idea.

The fitted motor and pulley may well prove to be a blessing, if it can be made to work! Problem if it doesn't. Probably be hard to find an original motor and pulley but I suspect an LP12 motor and pulley will work. The motor is the same so as long as the inner platter is close enough to being the same diameter as the LP12 it would work.

The strobe disc thingy on top of the motor is a mystery by the way. You would only need that for some kind of speed feedback system and there is no sign of anything to read the disk. As it's probably all a DIY effort, it's possible the disk was fitted with the intention of making a feedback system latter but it didn't happen.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 14 Aug 2019 10:37

CRE009, my RD11S has an earlier s/n of 002442, from 1974. Originally fitted with a motor using the square section belt (pics in the gallery).

Japi, the motor pulley on the one you have looks rather small, indicating, if it ever worked, that this is a high speed motor, possibly the fan type structure being part of a feedback system to the controller.

I recall in the Hi fi choice review of the RD110, mention being made of an electronic speed controller from Ariston, but that the test deck had been supplied without it.

My own RD11S, now has a Linn motor/modified inner platter and bearing. Only because when I bought it many years ago, it came with the Ariston main spindle snapped off. In those days Linn owners were discarding parts from decks in the rush to update and parts were plentiful and relatively cheap.

Alan
Last edited by Chiltern on 14 Aug 2019 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig » 14 Aug 2019 10:41

Chiltern wrote:
14 Aug 2019 10:37
In those days Linn owners were discarding parts from decks in the rush to update and parts were plentiful and relatively cheap.
I remember not long after the Cirkus kit for the LP12 came out, my local Linn dealer showed me a box full of LP12 bearings and inner platters removed from upgraded decks. I didn't think much of it at the time. A year or so afterward I asked him what happened to the box and he told me they'd thrown them all out! Missed opportunity there.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 14 Aug 2019 10:42

Thanks guys. I'll try to get it up and running as it is now, and take it from there.

One more thing that I find odd though: on all the pictures I see online, the platter is silver coloured, with a couple of rubber strips to support the record. On this one the top of the platter is black, as is the inner platter. The sides are metal coloured. Could be another 'mod' maybe? Or did some come out of the factory like this?

Also there is an arm rest mounted on the top plate, instead of the original SME arm rest. It looks like it's from a Thorens TD-160 et al. That's definitely a later DIY addition, right?

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 14 Aug 2019 11:09

Japi Roelofs wrote:
14 Aug 2019 10:42
One more thing that I find odd though: on all the pictures I see online, the platter is silver coloured, with a couple of rubber strips to support the record. On this one the top of the platter is black, as is the inner platter. The sides are metal coloured. Could be another 'mod' maybe? Or did some come out of the factory like this?
Some later Ariston models came with painted platters, pictured my RD110SL, with a brown painted platter (even a brown mat!) with the sides laquered to give a gold tint, which matches the arm wand on the supplied SMEIII. But another similar model that I sold a couple of years ago had a black platter with bright alloy sides, that had been supplied with an SME improved. Over the years I've had a number of Ariston and Fons turntable, no 2 seem to be the same.

Alan
ASIP1000832.jpg
(105.73 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 14 Aug 2019 11:39

cre009 wrote:
14 Aug 2019 09:07
Ariston Acoustics (trademark) was formed in !978 when John Carrick acquired the assets of Ariston International and possibly Fons Imternational. The new production started out of the Maybole location where Fergus Fons started.

Fons International took over production of the CQ30 from Fergus Fons in mid 76.

Fons International acquired the Ariston brand in late 77 with the intention of producing decks as Ariston International but no indication if Aristons were sold in 78.

In Dec78 the following short report appeared in Hi-Fi News on page 79 with the title "Ariston News". "Manufacture and UK Distribution of Ariston turntables is now under new management and the company renamed Ariston Acoustics Ltd. Marketing will be via a limited number of retail outlets at home and abroad. The rrp of the RD11s is now £185 inc VAT and the address is 1 Society Street, Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland. KA19 7BH".

In mid 1980 the production moved to the Prestwick location as per a brief news item in the July Fi-Fi News on page 39 under the heading "Address Changes". "Ariston Acoustics Ltd are moving to a larger factory; new address is Unit 176, Brieryside, Prestwick, Ayrshire KA29 2RB".

Julian Richer acquired Ariston Acoustics in the 1990's.
I stand corrected..
Checked the sticker on the back of my RD 11 Superieur,it does indeed say Ariston Acoustic..
There are also Ariston Audio badges all over the turntable,why I thought differently..
A strange anomaly though,it being badged as Ariston Audio,but the company being called something different..

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 14 Aug 2019 11:45

Chiltern wrote:
14 Aug 2019 11:09
Japi Roelofs wrote:
14 Aug 2019 10:42
Some later Ariston models came with painted platters, pictured my RD110SL, with a brown painted platter (even a brown mat!) with the sides laquered to give a gold tint, which matches the arm wand on the supplied SMEIII. But another similar model that I sold a couple of years ago had a black platter with bright alloy sides, that had been supplied with an SME improved. Over the years I've had a number of Ariston and Fons turntable, no 2 seem to be the same.

Alan

ASIP1000832.jpg
Almost snap,my outer gold platter bits were grubby and falling off,the whole deck was grubby..
Mine looked like a grottier version of yours on arrival without the mat.. :D
I used silvo on the dulled metal outer platter..
It is also painted brown and textured on top of the platter..
Mine is the RD110 SL..
The plinth covering is plasticky...
I swear the platter is a bit heavier than the LP12.

14590287_160727257720369_7944393791600228857_n.jpg
(133.6 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
RD 110.jpg
(153.07 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Last edited by goatbreath on 14 Aug 2019 12:11, edited 1 time in total.