B&O TT sound query...

snap, crackle and pop
Beotim
Great Britain

B&O TT sound query...

Post by Beotim » 13 Aug 2019 09:12

So, as I’m new to all of this having mostly streamed music - I have a B&O System, and while I really like it, and have just reformed the speakers, I have a sound issue. On a new record, I can enjoy at low-mid volume music but when I turn the volume up, the sound breaks down, so I have to lift the needle by pressing pause, drop it back down again and we are ok. Any thoughts on the cause / solution.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: B&O TT sound query...

Post by Pauw » 13 Aug 2019 11:09

It sounds like some sort of resonance problem.....maybe check to see that your speakers are too close to your turntable.....maybe move them a bit further away and see what happens? :D

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 13 Aug 2019 13:36

My first thought is fluff, dust, or fuzz on the stylus. Are the records clean?

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Aug 2019 17:42

Hi Beotim,

Welcome to the form forum.

Have you checked to see if this issue occurs with other sources? I assume that reformed was a typo and you meant to type re-foam. Check to see if the glue is still intact. If the speakers are OK you may have to trouble shoot the receiver.

Phil

Beotim wrote:
13 Aug 2019 09:12
So, as I’m new to all of this having mostly streamed music - I have a B&O System, and while I really like it, and have just reformed the speakers, I have a sound issue. On a new record, I can enjoy at low-mid volume music but when I turn the volume up, the sound breaks down, so I have to lift the needle by pressing pause, drop it back down again and we are ok. Any thoughts on the cause / solution.

Beotim
Great Britain

Post by Beotim » 14 Aug 2019 11:40

Ok, so....
The speakers are about 8ft each way from the TT; the issue only occurs with the TT; FM is clear and right through the sound range; it’s a new album, so marked the dirty record off the list and removed the cartridge and sprayed it with a can of ‘fresh air’ to blow away any fluff...

Could there be an issue with the magnetism in the cartridge? Would that increase with volume?

Or maybe ETM needs changing with the dial on the end of the tone arm? It’s marked but not certain what the current marking is making the pressure - and which way increases / decreases the ETM... 🙄

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 14 Aug 2019 15:07

1) DO NOT clean the stylus by blowing canned air at it. Does not clean the stylus and has the potential to blow dust into the internal workings of the cartridge. Use a stylus brush available from several sources and/or do a search on this forum for Magic Eraser method.

2) New record is not a guarantee of a clean record. They attract dust the second they are removed from the sleeve. The way records are handled when manufactured sometimes yields fingerprints and other contamination. The only way to be sure of a clean record is to clean it yourself.

3) The fact that the sound is fixed by "lift the needle by pressing pause, drop it back down again and we are ok" suggests something has built up on the stylus and lifting it causes it to drop off. Why I asked about fluff. Happens only on this one LP or all LPs?

4) What does "ETM" mean (Effective Total Mass???) and what dial do you think changes it? Look up your B&O turntable in the Library here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ban ... fsen.shtml
Get the manual for the unit and check your settings. I expect you are asking about "Tracking Force" and yes, it is critical you set the tracking force be set correctly. When in doubt, RTFM.

5) "Could there be an issue with the magnetism in the cartridge? Would that increase with volume?" What increases with volume is the potential for mechanical feedback from speakers to turntable. B&0 tables are fairly immune to acoustic feedback if correctly setup. (I sold B&O "back in the day") Again RTFM.

6) How many hours of use on the stylus? Diamonds are NOT "forever". Over 1,000 hours time for a stylus refresh. With B&O in most cases the stylus cannot be user replaced. Sound Smith is your contact for a rebuild or NOS cartridge.

https://www.sound-smith.com/bo-cartridges

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Aug 2019 17:41

Are you using a cover? If so does it happen with cover up, or cover down. If both, try with cover off.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 14 Aug 2019 18:42

Could be dust on the needle, or could be something else.
I don't remember if B&O turntables have automatic muting of the signal from the cartridge when the tonearm is raised, but I think they do.. You can test to find out by lightly touching the needle when the tonearm is in its resting pisition or "paused" If no sound comes out when you touch the needle, then there is an automatic muting built in to the turntable.
It's possible the contacts in the muting switch have become oxidized, causing distortion. Use contact cleaner DeOxit) on the contacts and exercise the switch by pressing "pause" and "play" a few dozen times to help clean away the oxidatiom.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Aug 2019 03:33

Hi Beotim,

I have one more thought. I have a couple of Beogram 3000 turntables. They take the SP12 cartridge, which is the last with a user replaceable stylus assembly. I have an assortment of SP12s in various states of funkyness including one which has been retipped to play 78.

One of the funker ones showed symptoms like what you are describing. It is possible to disassemble these older styli. I took it apart, inspected it, and re-assembled it and it was fine.

If you have a newer cartridge, disassembly may be a good trick, but a re-tipper may be able to do it.

I suggest borrowing a cartridge and it the issue goes away have the cartridge looked at. If you have the SP12 have a go at it yourself. If it does not survive they are still available.

Phil