Need feet ideas for DIY turntable

snap, crackle and pop
cgallery
United States of America

Need feet ideas for DIY turntable

Post by cgallery » 09 Aug 2019 14:46

This is a early prototype of what my plinth will look like.

I need some feet thoughts. Currently I'm using some particle board discs as feet.

I'd like the feet to be 3/4" of an inch high. They need to be that high because the wiring for the motor is going to run UNDER the plinth to a terminal strip that will feed a couple of switches. One on/off, the other 33/45.

Complicating matters is my arm design which uses the 1/4-20 set screw as 1/2 of the pivot. I'd like to allow that to extend down below the plinth as well. So a foot would have to be small enough diameter to be off to the side, or large enough (2-1/2" to 3") and centered so the stud can extend through the center of the foot.

I see these giant "statement" turntables and the feet which also look like supports for arms look extremely substantial, and I'm imagining very substantial isolation systems built into them.

I've thought of using hockey pucks as I've read comments about people using them under their tables feeling they improved the sound. BUT, they are putting the pucks under existing isolation feet.

I'm not sure how critically important isolation feet are. I looked at the ones on the original SL-6 turntable (the donor of parts for this) and they rather beefy springs wrapped in some rubber, with the rubber being connected to the table. Honestly, a tape test of the table on which I have a similar SL-J33 table indicates they aren't that great, not sure how much better than nothing they are.

Any thoughts?
IMG_5140.JPG
(65.2 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
IMG_5141.JPG
(67.23999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

denvertrakker
United States of America

Re: Need feet ideas for DIY turntable

Post by denvertrakker » 09 Aug 2019 15:35

I've had Vibrapods on my Kenwood for quite some time, after the originals perished. They seem to be doing the job. Available at Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere). Here's the company's website:

http://www.vibrapod.com/

cgallery
United States of America

Post by cgallery » 09 Aug 2019 15:51

denvertrakker wrote:
09 Aug 2019 15:35
I've had Vibrapods on my Kenwood for quite some time, after the originals perished. They seem to be doing the job. Available at Amazon (and I'm sure elsewhere). Here's the company's website:

http://www.vibrapod.com/
Edit to add: I think this is the right solution. I'm going to cut some feet from particle board that are the 1-5/16 D or whatever that fits into the Vibrapod, and then just slap the Vibrapod onto those. I can place a 1/4 hole in the center of my fake feet, and the screw for my tonearm can feed down into that. The Vibrapod, being sorbethane (sp?) should accomodate the 1/4-20 screw if it extends a little beyond even.

Thanks for the help

Originally: Do you have those fastened to the Kenwood? They appeared to be supplemental to me, to be used in conjunction with existing feet.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 09 Aug 2019 16:58

The original Kenwood feet were useless. I removed them and fastened the Vibrapods in their place using the original screws. Just make sure you buy the right ones, considering the weight they'll need to support. Although the ones I have seem OK, in hindsight I'd have preferred one step up. (That Kenwood is one of the "stone" designs, so heavier than average.)

]eep

Post by ]eep » 10 Aug 2019 19:13

You could use squash balls halves or ping pong ball half used as a mold for silicone.

I've also bought some very nice full aluminum feet with rubber insert from Ebay that didn't cost much. Just an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Aluminum- ... 1438.l2649

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 10 Aug 2019 20:27

Second what 'davertrakker' said; if you're going for the 'soft' dampening feet, hence that you'll have to take in consideration the weight each feet will support in order for them to "interact" as expected. Squashed down they will couple your turntable to it's support and too 'loose' they will act as "springs" and bounce around your turntable... [-X

Inertia is what the cartridge/tonearm combo benefit from for precise groove read. They stand on your turntable that stands on a support that needs maximum inertia in the first place. Your home made turntable weight must not be impressive I believe. So anchoring the turntable should be done through a plate of heavy material first that it stands on to IMHO.

You see many DJ's nowadays who use the same trick to decouple their SL-1200 or whatever with a plank of heavy wood for example that lays on top of squashed foam on the DJ deck/booth. This to counter some support as well as airborne vibrations transmission. Doing that way you could use small feet and likely coupling ones (like spikes)...

Two spikes on the front side and one in the back with tiny sorbothane pads under discs if ever. That way, I believe you should achieve better inertia and "cleaner" cartridge rendition of the music than with "soft" feet for your light effective mass turntable. Trial that if you have such a spare heavy plate (to be leveled !) you can lay on some soft dampening material.

If I have sorbothane feet for my turntables, it's because it's a heavy chunky tuntable of 20+ Kilos achieving it's inertia that way. But different designs aiming to perform differently benefit different solutions to counter their drawbacks if any. The same-o reply; there's no universal better or solution in the phono world. Trials accordingly will show that.

cgallery
United States of America

Post by cgallery » 10 Aug 2019 23:04

Okay thanks for all the feedback gentlemen.

The turntable is indeed very low mass. I think if I did go with Vibrapods, I'd just need the very lightest weight, this isn't squishing anything. I will have to weigh my turntable soon and determine the weight.

A concrete floor isn't possible, but IF this thing works, perhaps a wall shelf is doable. That should provide some additional isolation. Also, I don't listen very loud, and it is just my wife and I these days (and Roy Rogers, the 60# dog).

I guess I will continue to ponder the feet as I start to test the table this weekend.

I did receive the clips for the lead wires to cartridge today. Tomorrow I should receive a P-Mount cartridge adapter. I ordered the P-Mount to 1/2" adapter because I have a P-Mount cartridge that can serve as a test cartridge. I'm hoping that my resulting stylus to mounting hole distance is 3/8" (9.5mm) because that is what this arm is designed for. The adapter was $10, it seemed like a good way to proceed during testing. If not I'll have to order a different cartridge.

Last night I removed one quick disconnect shell from the motor's cable and wired that side to a Euro-style terminal block. A DPDT center-off rocker is on the way, which should allow me to select 33/off/45. I also added the coupler for the tonearm wiring to the bottom.

It is amazing how much work is involved to get to the point where I can see if the tonearm functions at all.

I've added an updated pic so you guys can chew it over and make any other suggestions, if you like.

I'm still going to need to add an arm rest, and I'd like very much for a soft cueing device but they're expensive on eBay, $75 isn't unusual. So while I'm working on getting a cartridge mounted (BTW, my local hardware store carries 2.5mm hardware!) and things tested over the next few days, I'm going to be pondering how to add those. Suggestions welcome.

All comments/critiques welcome.

(I wish the pic was better, it is dark in my basement.)
IMG_5149.JPG
(58.61 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

cgallery
United States of America

Post by cgallery » 11 Aug 2019 00:38

Had to move the thing onto a board to make it possible to shift it around the shop, so pic from the front.
IMG_5150_resized.jpg
(109.79 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

]eep

Post by ]eep » 11 Aug 2019 00:48

$10 for an adapter to fit an old cart... Why didn't you just get a complete and new AT3600 for that same price? You could invest your money much smarter if you would read better. I'm not continuing typing advice if I don't get some idea it will be read. That's a waste of my time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Cartr ... 100623.m-1

cgallery
United States of America

Post by cgallery » 11 Aug 2019 01:01

]eep wrote:
11 Aug 2019 00:48
$10 for an adapter to fit an old cart... Why didn't you just get a complete and new AT3600 for that same price? You could invest your money much smarter if you would read better. I'm not continuing typing advice if I don't get some idea it will be read. That's a waste of my time.

Several reasons:

(1) Don't want to wait for shipping from China.

(2) That AT3600L cartridge costs more than the $10 adapter I ordered, and I have a t4p cartridge available for testing.

(3) That AT3600L requires a pretty substantial tracking force (2.5 to 3.5G), so not an ideal candidate for testing how the arm reacts with more mainstream/typical cartridges employing far lower tracking forces.

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 11 Aug 2019 01:16

]eep wrote:
11 Aug 2019 00:48

Not ragging on you but advice might not be followed because none of your advice ships to the USA from the links you supplied.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 11 Aug 2019 10:29

DIY projects IMHO rhymes with recycling, re-using and converting spare parts, gear and ideas.

So no harm done I believe for his idea to sort that old P-mount cartridge fit on this project of his.

No matter how odd or successful this turns out, one's perseverance in such projects thrive on that.

]eep

Post by ]eep » 12 Aug 2019 01:05

I gave an example for a well proven mainstream Audio Technica cart. I'm pretty sure it's the most sold MM worldwide. I just gave the link of one I ordered but I'm pretty sure you can find one yourself. Mine cost €7 and that's still quite a bit less than $10, more like $8. I recall you moaning about cost so I wanted to help you.

You can use the 3600 very well at 2g and even 5g. You probably are unaware of the massive popularity of this little cartridge that can be had for pocket change. Its the same as the Rega carbon and it's mounted on many, many, many new upmarket turntables as OEM. It's as mainstream as it gets.

But go ahead. Don't take my advice. Do it your way. It's your money. Find out the hard way.

cgallery
United States of America

Post by cgallery » 12 Aug 2019 02:19

]eep wrote:
12 Aug 2019 01:05
I gave an example for a well proven mainstream Audio Technica cart. I'm pretty sure it's the most sold MM worldwide. I just gave the link of one I ordered but I'm pretty sure you can find one yourself. Mine cost €7 and that's still quite a bit less than $10, more like $8. I recall you moaning about cost so I wanted to help you.

You can use the 3600 very well at 2g and even 5g. You probably are unaware of the massive popularity of this little cartridge that can be had for pocket change. Its the same as the Rega carbon and it's mounted on many, many, many new upmarket turntables as OEM. It's as mainstream as it gets.

But go ahead. Don't take my advice. Do it your way. It's your money. Find out the hard way.
Boy you're really upset that I didn't follow your advice, it wasn't anything personal and I provided my reasons.

Don't get so upset, I'm not worth it. :)

I did get my adapter today, and have already tested the table/arm with a cartridge tracking at 1.25g.

Works great.

]eep

Post by ]eep » 15 Aug 2019 00:45

I'm not upset, just baffled. I can't follow your 'logic'.

The AT3600L is not just any cheap throw away cartridge. It's really great sounding, very versatile, easily upgradable and an absolute keeper. A great spare that isn't just 'make do'. And you decide to buy an adapter that costs nearly 30% more for an old 'as is' T4p that probably isn't suited for your quite heavy looking arm.

I use the 3600 on an ultra light Philips tangential arm and a rather heavy Lenco L78 arm and it works great on both.

I love that you want to make your own table. It just doesn't look like it's anywhere near my own standards. While I spend less.