Yamaha YP-D71 - Antik Skate Bias Weight - What's the weight?

snap, crackle and pop
Lonker

Yamaha YP-D71 - Antik Skate Bias Weight - What's the weight?

Post by Lonker » 16 Jul 2019 14:18

Hi folks!

to all owners of an YP-D71:

I'm looking for the weight of the anti skate bias weight (in grams).
I found absolutly no info about in the service manual or somewhere else.

Maybe you have a precision balance and can determine the weight for me! This would be great!

Sincerly, Alex

vinylsgreat

Re: Yamaha YP-D71 - Antik Skate Bias Weight - What's the weight?

Post by vinylsgreat » 23 Jul 2019 05:52

I feel for you. All is not lost. Buy yourself some small lead fishing weights. You are going to have to do some trial and error to find the correct weight for yours.
I had the same problem with my Marantz 6100, except I had a head-start. It was supposed to be .8 grams.
I used some 2 lb. test fishing line, made a small loop in one end and superglued a knot there. The loop was about 1/8" round. Then I used a Shure stylus force gauge to measure the sinker weight. I kept shaving more and more off of it until I got close. I used the chrome end of a ball-point pen inserted on the other end of the line. Then I squeezed the sinker at the end of the line. Make sure you use enough line so that the lead is almost touching the plinth when used at maximum length (usually when using lowest antiskate setting). I tested mine and had a few demo LP's with no grooves on one side, but you can use lead-in/lead-out grooves to get close. My weight was a little low so I added some solder until it was perfect. Then I jammed the sinker/solder up into the chrome end of a ball-point pen, which covered the sinker/solder. It works perfectly and even looks classy! I had 5 pens lying around my house with the chrome end, which unscrews at the ball end.

Lonker

Post by Lonker » 23 Jul 2019 09:26

Thanks for you answer, vinylsgreat.

I found out that the weight is 1.8 to 2 grams ... so I bought a 2 grams replacement weight on ebay.
In addition I have a special test record including anti skating test tracks ...

vinylsgreat

Post by vinylsgreat » 24 Jul 2019 05:04

Well, glad you found something. Ebay's great for that. I got some sort of personal satisfaction out of making a purse from a sow's ear, I suppose.