Isolation Feet On Turntable. How to remove vibration.

snap, crackle and pop
josh00023
United States of America

Isolation Feet On Turntable. How to remove vibration.

Post by josh00023 » 16 Jul 2019 09:38

Have a Technics SL-D2 Turntable I really like. My big problem is needle jumping on the record do to vibration from floor or something like that. . Vibration is the problem. Anyway to remove this problem. can you change the feet? I don't see why rubber feet with a spring is supposed to help. Would some type of solid feet solve this? If any one has a suggestion or idea it would great.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Isolation Feet On Turntable. How to remove vibration.

Post by Pauw » 16 Jul 2019 11:10

If possible put the table on a wall mounted shelf. :D

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 16 Jul 2019 19:20

Where do you have it positioned currently? Speakers and turntable?

I have seen a lot of people having the turntable on the same platform as the speakers. It wont work.

It should be away from speakers, and on a separate piece of furniture. A wall shelf as mentioned is a good option, or just any solid piece of furniture should do.

Also putting something under the speakers to decouple them from the surface, should help reducing the amount of vibrations transmitted to the surface.

p_m
United States of America

Post by p_m » 16 Jul 2019 19:22

josh00023 wrote:
16 Jul 2019 09:38
Have a Technics SL-D2 Turntable I really like. My big problem is needle jumping on the record do to vibration from floor or something like that. . Vibration is the problem. Anyway to remove this problem. can you change the feet? I don't see why rubber feet with a spring is supposed to help. Would some type of solid feet solve this? If any one has a suggestion or idea it would great.
Perhaps the problem lies in the placement of the tt itself. How and where is it placed ? What is between the feet of the tt and the floor ? You may need some isolation between the floor and whatever the table is on right now.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 16 Jul 2019 20:57

If the skipping is from foot falls (walking near the turntable), it will take some pretty serious measures to fix. If the flooring has long wooden planks, it can even happen from stepping on the OTHER end of the plank.

As already mentioned, a wall-mounted shelf is best, but other than that, you'll need a quite heavy piece of furniture to put the tt on. I'm not sure isolation pads/feet would fix a bad foot fall issue. One other option is put a heavy slab of marble/stone/etc on the floor, under your tt stand. Or smaller pieces under each foot of the stand. Basically, you want something heavy enough for your flooring (and sub-floor) to bottom-out on top of the floor joists or concrete slab underneath.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 17 Jul 2019 08:09

it sits on a solid wood stereo shelf away from the speakers. What if the turntable sat on something that would absolve the vibration.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jul 2019 10:30

The problem is that if that stereo shelf is vibrating the whole thing will vibrate with it. Some shelf even if they are sold as turntable platforms are badly designed and will vibrate excessively.

Do you know if you have solid concrete floors? And is the skipping happening because of you walking around or the speakers?

Best way would be to get a wall shelf and mount it on a concrete wall. That way, the heavy wall will absorb the vibrations.

Do you have the speakers on stands or are they directly on a surface? As I already mentioned, try putting some books under them (supporting the 4 corners). If the bottom of the speaker is in full contact with whatever it sits on, it will transmit vibrations around the whole room.

Other than that you could try sorbothane feet. They work on a specific load, so check how much your turntable weights and divide by 4 to get the correct ones.

Or try putting it on a turntable platform:
shelf.jpg
(12.99 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
shelf2.jpg
(32.44 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Its basically a piece of heavy wood/stone or layers of different materials, which should minimize the transmission of vibrations.
shelf 3.jpg
(136.42 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
But if the shelf is prone to vibrations I doubt it will help much.

P.S.: Are you sure you have enough tracking force? Too little VTF could be also causing this issue.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 17 Jul 2019 13:35

I am tracking the cartridge at the recommended Force. But I might Try getting a block and setting the turntable on that.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 17 Jul 2019 14:27

The turntable just like speakers profoundly benefit from highly inert support. But the turntable also need dampening from it's support. That can either way be achieve with mass at it's base (stone block...) or sorbothane feet of the right density and calibration (careful there as too much or too little don't work).

Needle jumping is kinda vague but if it's due to footfall, I'd settle for a cure (wall mount or ceiling hung) instead of fiddling with ornement struggling to compensate the turntable "shake". If it's the cartridge responding to extreme groove modulations, I would check the tonearm to cartridge resonance match.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 17 Jul 2019 20:14

I am Going to see that the shelf sits level again and check needle again to see that it is only 2 grams. I set it with my scale. So if I used A block under the Turntable than the block should have something under like maybe some solid rubber feet.

p_m
United States of America

Post by p_m » 18 Jul 2019 03:57

josh00023 wrote:
17 Jul 2019 08:09
it sits on a solid wood stereo shelf away from the speakers. What if the turntable sat on something that would absolve the vibration.
Have you isolated the source of vibration ? is it speakers ? footfall ? speaker vibration can travel very easily from the floor even if they are placed away. In that case you might get better results isolating the speakers from the floor.

You can do a test by placing the stylus on the record when the record is not spinning, and then tapping on the shelf, then on the turntable, walking/stomping near the shelf, knocking on the speakers and listening for that sound from the speakers. This way you can check where the least isolation exists in your system.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 20 Jul 2019 00:00

The turntable feet are rubber with springs. Is that bad thing? I have heard people say they do not like those type of feet. I thought maybe you could get solid feet if those are better and replace the old ones. Tapping on the shelf was good idea. it seemed to vibrate or make a wobble in audio from the record and a little bit of jumping, but not bad.

p_m
United States of America

Post by p_m » 20 Jul 2019 01:26

I am not a fan of springs in turntable feet either. Typically the spring would have some foam or cork material inside to dampen the spring but that foam deteriorates with age and then you have a spring that vibrates like a tuning fork or at least wobbles.
Solid rubber feet for me. Taller the better like these -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Speaker-S ... 2749.l2649

Just for trying though you could find some blocks of rubber, any size, put them under the turntable to raise it off the spring feet and see if it makes a difference. If it does then you need new feet. Isolating the shelf from the floor and dampening it somehow might also help.
Let us know how this ends!

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 21 Jul 2019 07:28

I was wondering if anyone has tried to foam old feet. My Model Is a D3 and apparently it wasn't just Technics that did it but a lot turntables from the 70's used rubber spring loaded feet.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 21 Jul 2019 12:25

josh00023 wrote:
21 Jul 2019 07:28
I was wondering if anyone has tried to foam old feet. My Model Is a D3 and apparently it wasn't just Technics that did it but a lot turntables from the 70's used rubber spring loaded feet.
My Kenwood KD-5070 from that era has non height adjustable screwed on plastic feet with felt sole. It's never been on anything more solid that a free standing bookshelf and has never skipped from vibration tracking at 1.2 grams.

It spent most of is life sitting directly on top of the beastly KR-8010 receiver it was connected to. I know, sitting on a power amp not the best for interference. But if I couldn't hear it I didn't care. I was just listening to music. ;)