Shure M44 vs. M44-MR

snap, crackle and pop
juanbanzai

Shure M44 vs. M44-MR

Post by juanbanzai » 13 Jul 2019 00:43

I'm finishing up the restoration on a Technics SP-10 MK2 turntable. While digging through my stock of needles and cartridges, I found an original Shure M44-MR minus the stylus. I'm not sure where this cart came from, but it may have been from a jukebox. With that said, and after reading the rave reviews about the M44-series carts, is there a drastic difference between the M44 and the M44-MR?

I'd like to be able to play both LPs and 78s on the Technics, but I don't want to invest in new styli for the M44-MR if it has characteristics that are better for blasting 70s and 80s 45s out of a jukebox rather than playing jazz out of a stereo system.

I've also got a Stanton 681 in my collection... so it's the same bit there; a stylus for both LPs and 78s. It's a toss-up between the Shure and the Stanton.

Thanks for any info.

Aaron

KentT
long player
long player

Re: Shure M44 vs. M44-MR

Post by KentT » 13 Jul 2019 01:52

The M 44-MR is a slightly different cartridge in terms of being narrower to fit in the tonearm of the AMI-Rowe jukeboxes. Functionally, electrically, and sound wise, the same as a normal Shure M 44 cartridge. The Jico styli are superb, on par with Shure's originals.