Arm Damping

snap, crackle and pop
pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Arm Damping

Post by pivot » 14 Jul 2019 18:28

I have no experience with the Townshend Rock. Do you? Based on my experience with other paddle based systems it does not "seem" to me that the system ignores vertical damping. Depending on how the paddle surface is shaped where it contacts the damping fluid there could be quite a bit of damping of vertical movement. One really can't reason constructively about about somebody else's perception.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 14 Jul 2019 18:46

I have no experience but have seen pictures - the paddle is just a (vertical) rod.

All i wanted to do was to explain to the TO that there can be vertical damping, though it doesn´t look like there is ("seem to ignore") - because he was asking why there doesn´t seem to be vertical damping on some designs.
But i admitt that i don´t have as much experience like you have with arm dampers, so my statement of "a lot" may be wrong. I assumed it to be that way, because when building my own arm-damper i had to reduce the size of the paddle for the vertical plane, in comparison to the paddle for the horizontal plane, because i got trouble at tracking warped records when both paddles had the same size.
But as it seems there is (way) more damping of the vertical plane on a lot of desings than i assumed. Got me.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 14 Jul 2019 20:57

...and for those playing along at home ...The tonearm design with only damping in the horizontal plane is the SME V. There maybe other arms with a similar configuration but I am only aware if the SME V with this style of damping.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 15 Jul 2019 01:10

MikeyB456 wrote:
14 Jul 2019 10:23
Hi Sunwire,
I don't quite see how that could work. Surely there wouldn't be any vertical movement in that bearing anyway?
You can look to see how it works in the owners manual for the Jelco SA-750. It's in the library here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jelco/sa-750d.shtml

The cap is attached to the gimbal supports. It doesn't move.
The well is attached to the arm and moves with the arm, both vertically and horizontally.
The oil is between the cap and the bottom of the well. It damps the movement of the arm relative to the gimbal supports.

Why wouldn't there be vertical movement? The arm pivots at the gimbal so it can swing in vertical and horizontal planes, just like most other tonearms.