Vintage Turntable Parts

snap, crackle and pop
Rowjim17
United States of America

Vintage Turntable Parts

Post by Rowjim17 » 11 Jul 2019 16:22

First off let me say hello to everyone. I am very happy to see such enthusiasm for Vinyl. I have a Fisher MT-6360 turntable, that I am looking for a cartridge for. The only option I see so far is to buy a "for parts" turntable, and I would like to avoid that if necessary. A friend of mine recommended this board, and from what I have seen and read, I am very glad he did. I thought I would come to you for advise, or other to see if maybe I can find this cartridge. I also wanted this to not only be about me, and my parts needs, but everyone's. So if you too are looking for that discontinued, or vintage turntable part, post it here. Maybe together we can help make our turntables, and our vinyl sound great again. :)

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Vintage Turntable Parts

Post by jdjohn » 11 Jul 2019 17:27

Hi, and welcome to VE :)

One thing we all have to agree upon is terminology for discussion purposes, so when you say 'cartridge', let's make sure we're talking about the same part. Which part exactly are you asking about? Cartridges can be acquired as separate, replaceable parts, and used on a variety of turntables, so no need to find a donor turntable just for a cartridge.

Maybe you mean 'headshell'? Even those can be interchangeable, so I'm just trying to determine what part you need.

Rowjim17
United States of America

Post by Rowjim17 » 11 Jul 2019 17:35

Thanks. I mean the cartridge that installs into the headshell, and has the needle attached. The cartridge for this particular turntable does not seem to be interchangeable, as it has a sensor on it which dictates the position of the needle on the record, thus making it a 7 wire connection, rather than the standard 4 wire connection. There is no headshell per se on this turntable either. The arm is one piece.

Rowjim17
United States of America

Post by Rowjim17 » 11 Jul 2019 17:39

It says MG-100s on it.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jul 2019 17:45

Well, first off, Jim...Welcome to VE from me, too! =D>

You have a very nice machine there! :)

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/fis ... 6360.shtml

Have you looked at this one? :-k

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ST-100 ... _1328.html

I think they were also branded as the Sanyo MG-100S...I got a nice Sanyo MG-29, in fact, that came with my Technics SL-D3...

I've also bought from www.turntableneedles.com and have been very happy with their service! =D>

Last but not least, if anyone is looking for turntable parts, I highly vouch for the guys over at organdonorparts.com...If they don't have your part listed, they may still have something in stock...That's how I got a better dust cover for my Pioneer PL-12D II! :D

That said, I am still looking for an original bayonet headshell for my Sansui SR-212...I have a nice replacement, similar to this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNTABLE-HEAD ... Sw399cs1D2

...but as a completist, I'd still love to find an original one at a nice price! 8-[

If you want to include receivers, I need a couple of bass and treble knobs for my Scott Stereomaster 636S seen here, that I purchased earlier this year...

Here's a complete model to show you what they look like...

Oh and good idea for a thread...i'm sure many of us have missing pieces and parts that we need to get our record machines and various other equipment working and looking good again! As for me, if anyone has the parts I need, send me a PM anytime! :D

Rowjim17
United States of America

Post by Rowjim17 » 11 Jul 2019 21:34

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have a pic of the cartridge I need as my avatar. It is proving to be very elusive.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 11 Jul 2019 23:05

Does your unit not have the cartridge at all, or are you just wanting to replace it for some reason? If you have a cartridge, but only need a new stylus/needle, they sell those here: https://www.turntableneedles.com/ST-100 ... uickcart=1

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 12 Jul 2019 00:07

The stylus suggested appears to be the right one, and the price is not bad. I'd suggest getting one, and maybe two, in case supply dries up.

Rowjim17
United States of America

Post by Rowjim17 » 12 Jul 2019 00:45

I have the cartridge already. I’m just looking for a replacement just in case something happens to it. I’m not sure of the condition of the cartridge since I just bought the turntable. I was able to buy 3 replacement needles though.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 12 Jul 2019 02:46

I think you're in fine shape then! Cartridges rarely go bad...like very rarely...they don't have any moving parts, so usually just work. The stylus is what has the moving parts and can wear out. But since you have 3 replacements, you should be good for quite a while \:D/